Making a cutter box
I was lucky enough to score a Stanley Miller repro plane when Paul Hamler made them years ago. He was interested in the casting only, not the blades. We corresponded for a while and I decided to make some blade sets. So fast forward to today. My plane was finished years ago and my blade set was sharpened but never had a home. It was time to set things right.

[Image: DSCN2453.jpg]

I started with a piece of 1/4" poplar from HD.

[Image: DSCN2435.jpg]

I laid out the set and cut the front and back. I used 5/32 scrap for the inner sandwich.

[Image: DSCN2437.jpg]

Then I glued the strips to the back side.

[Image: DSCN2440.jpg]

When that dried, I glued up the front side.

[Image: DSCN2441.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2442.jpg]

I cut the crossgrained sides with the table saw and planed the top and bottom.

[Image: DSCN2444.jpg]

[Image: DSCN2446.jpg]

And then I used the table saw to cut the box apart. Now my cutters have a home.

[Image: DSCN2452.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice!
Cool
Cool
That looks really good. Thanks for posting. It reminds me that I need to make a box for my 45 cutters.
Simple is usually better.  Nifty little box.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
That’s a nice, straight forward approach to making a place to keep your blades.   Thanks for posting.
I'm curious, does anyone know if you could a silica pack in the bottom?  Would that prevent rust problems if stored long term?  Can the steel come in contact with the silica or does that cause a problem?
Would think that the wood would soak up any moisture and not have rust. Well maybe a flood would cause problems, but that would cause problems even if you had some silica beads.
WoodTinker
Nice cutter pack. Reminds me of cigar holders. 

1. I would cut myself every time I opened and grabbed an iron. Reverse the points and add some thick leather to the bottom.

2. The cutters need protection--a wipe with Fluid Film. Anti desiccant will likely be forgotten, and be difficult to prevent breakage and leaks.
Problem with desiccant packs is that they need to be dried once they reach saturation. A couple sheets of VCI paper in the box would work well I think.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

nice box Jim.  I need to do this for my 45 blades.