PL Premium construction adhesive
I'm looking to hang some hardboard panels on a ceiling (approx 42" x 42").  I will be using PL Premium Adhesive.

Do I need to apply pressure for the adhesive to bond properly?  The instructions don't really specify.
As much as I think PL Premium is awesome stuff, no way would I hang anything overhead without some form of mechanical fastener.
It will not hang there by itself,you do need something to keep it in place until the glue dries.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I probably wouldn't glue anything to my ceiling.

Nail it. Someday, somebody will have to re-sheetrock that ceiling because it was destroyed pulling the planks off.

Buy a cheap HF finish-nailer and nail it to your joists. It will look fine if you do a nice job.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

The hardboard panels will be applied to an outdoor patio ceiling that has an existing plywood ceiling.

I plan on securing the hardboard to the plywood with staples around the perimeter (later will be covered with trim).  But i do not want mechanical fasteners showing in the center of the panel. 

Sounds like i will need to apply upward "clamping" pressure in the center of each panel for 24 hours while the adhesive cures?
If nailing is not a option, then make a three T-bars from 2 x 4 stock to hold the board in place while the glue cures.

[Image: 43fe02b370f756e78398340994cfae91.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Shocked 
You will never see brads. I would add them for extra support. Not on a ceiling. No one looks up and all the weight is down. Air gun. shoot them. You have been warned.
Smile
John T.
(03-16-2017, 11:50 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: You will never see brads. I would add them for extra support. Not on a ceiling. No one looks up and all the weight is down. Air gun. shoot them. You have been warned.
Smile

Yep.

Actually, I suspect you're going to see joints in the field anyhow, I'd cover them with something that will allow you to hide more fasteners.

Personally I'd use staples but brads would work fine, too.
(03-16-2017, 11:54 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yep.

Actually, I suspect you're going to see joints in the field anyhow, I'd cover them with something that will allow you to hide more fasteners.

Personally I'd use staples but brads would work fine, too.
I would use narrow crown staples too.  

There is no head on my  18 gauge brad nails, which works fine in shear but not so well in pull-out (tensile).  So ultimately only the adhesive will be doing the work.  

It is not clear to me that the brads will hold the panel weight long enough for the adhesive to set.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-17-2017, 07:57 AM)Cooler Wrote: I would use narrow crown staples too.  

There is no head on my  18 gauge brad nails, which works fine in shear but not so well in pull-out (tensile).  So ultimately only the adhesive will be doing the work.  

It is not clear to me that the brads will hold the panel weight long enough for the adhesive to set.

This is not a pin nail it is a brad and yes there is a head. Angle the nail one way and then another way and keep changing angles and that panel will not fall. It will give the glue a chance to dry and add a layer of support. More than without. Staples are just straight in also so not much support there.
John T.