Turning Question
I don't turn, which will become readily apparent in a minute.  I was looking at some soapstone carvings this morning and saw a soapstone ball point pen.  I looked at several hundred carved pieces of soapstone and only saw one pen.  My question is, has anyone here turned a soapstone pen?  It seems to me that trying to jam a ballpoint refill and associated pieces into a piece of stone would be a recipe for disaster.  What say you spinner folks?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
You might want to check with Grey Mountain or Michael Mouse.Seems to me it would be rather soft to insert a pen mechanism into.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I had a guy give me 4 pieces of soapstone 4x4x4 and after turning one and thinking I could get a thin wall well it was not to be.

On a pen I would drill the blank and glue in the brass then turn it down and sand it the rest of the way and I would not cut closer then 1/4" before sanding.

When I get ready to do one of the other three I will try some thin CA to the walls to get them more stable.

Me I would love to find out where to get some and turn some pens or other stuff but I have just plain gray stuff with nothing noticeable about it but good for practice.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It's been done before, but like Arlin said, you need a larger size pen kit to turn soapstone without risking blowout.  It's very brittle.  Turn down to maybe 1/8" from final dimension, then sand to the final size.  Use CA to harden it.  Polish with micromesh.  I looked to see if Tru-stone came in a soapstone and it did not.  Tru-stone is artificial stone that looks very much like the real thing.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have never done pens and have never worked with soapstone, so I can't offer any advice.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(03-15-2017, 07:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: When I get ready to do one of the other three I will try some thin CA to the walls to get them more stable.

I doubt that CA will help.  Soapstone is completely Nonporous 

My kitchen island is soapstone.  Sanding it makes talcum powder.
(03-16-2017, 10:42 AM)Wipedout Wrote: My kitchen island is soapstone.  Sanding it makes talcum powder.

Which, as we know, is bad for living things either high (lungs) or low.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.