Extracting PDFs from Woodwork mag DVD
Some years ago I purchased the Woodwork magazine DVD collection. We had a discussion on this forum about extracting the individual magazines, and then converting them to a PDF to view on an iPad. 

I did this with some of the editions, but then ran out of drive to do more. Now I would like to complete the process, but I have forgotten the method.

Anyone recall or can help? I am on a MacBook Pro.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,
I have the Woodwork DVD and the issues ARE in *.pdf format on the DVD. You should be able to insert the DVD, navigate to the issue wanted and copy the *.pdf to your hard drive.
Maybe the DVD released in Australia is different, but I would be surprised if it was.
Mike
Semper Audere!
Hi Mike

... then I suspect that my Mac is not reading the (windows?) DVD properly. I cannot see any collective PDF files, only .jpg (which are image files of the individual pages).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
You are not able to search .JPG files as they are just images or pictures.

Having worked with PDF files myself, it is as easy as send it to print but specify a PDF print device that sends the print to a PDF format. The Adobe Writer would be the best method. It is the only I know that can combine many PDF files into one. There are other utilities that will do the same. I use them to create digital copies of online receipts into a PDF format document.

It is as easy as click on the [Print] and send the output to the installed [PDF] driver. Microsoft has one that I got with MS-Office.
WoodTinker
Late last night I worked out a method, which involves finding the jpg files, viewing them as a collection in Preview, and then printing as a pdf. It is the way I did them years ago. Super inefficient method. It works but sooo slow, and the reason I gave up after creating only a couple of years worth of mags for my iPad. Is there another, faster way?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek

Woodtinker's response is what I would recommend.

So long as there is a "print" command available from whatever application (or even browser) in which you are viewing your document, you can choose to "print" to a pdf, rather than a physical printer (ie, a laser or inkjet device). Instead of a printed page, a pdf file is created in whatever directory you have specified.

Obviously, this requires that "print to PDF" is one of the options available within the print dialog box. It is, for example, a choice available from within the MS office programs.
It is also available from within some browsers.

If no such option is available within your print dialog box, you could always try this:

https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/...o-pdf.html
My Woodwork DVD also has the issues in PDF format, but I am using a Windows machine to view (and simply copied the DVD to a micro SD card to use it.)  I suppose there is a slim chance there are two formats on the disk, and using a PC to copy would give you what you want.  Is your disk the entire 1989-2014 magazine run?  If not, it's a different disk.

I just checked my disk on a Mac, and see the same PDF files, so yours must be different.  My disk has a directory called "data", and within that directories named by year, and within those are the individual pdf files for each issue.