Weather and woodworking
(03-27-2017, 11:52 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I depends on exactly what you're doing, but in general if working with dimensional lumber, never do ww'ing in the direct sunlight because you are going to have problems with wood warpage.

Or plan and build smart, where dimensional change due to humidity can't destroy the work.  Traditional furniture methods and joinery are the ones to follow.  Don't count on fasteners and glue to maintain things.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
My shop is heated & a/c'd. I spent most of my waking hours there on the scroll saw, or doing who knows what until the first of December. I had major back surgery, again, the 8th of December. Was just starting to get back in the shop, & my Moms' health went south, so my shop time has been very limited. 

Dimensional lumber will definitely warp in the sunshine & warm temps. Upgrading to rough sawn lumber may prevent some of the warpage, depending on the moisture to begin with. The reason I suggest rough sawn lumber if possible is because in the long run you get more bdft for the buck, & better lumber. Yes, there are some work issues involved, but if you look at the sh*t lumber you're getting from the lumber store compared to the quality of lumber from a mill, there isn't any question. Construction lumber & pt lumber is another class.

I don't use anything but rough sawn lumber in any of my projects. Price, looks, quality, & availability of different species play into choices as well.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
Rain?  What's that?  I live in the desert.  That said, we've pretty much ended the drought here in California with all the rain.  My shop is my garage, so it doesn't really matter whether it's sunny or not outside, cuz I don't have windows.  Too windy most of the time to leave the garage door open.  For me, it's more about temperature than sunshine.  Too cold or too hot makes for a less pleasant experience.  Too cold really makes hand tool working more difficult, since my hands don't have the dexterity as they do when it's warmer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Other than summer, South TX weather is always great, don't have AC in the shop yet, but it will only reduce the ambient temperature a bit...

However I always try to work no matter the temp, has something to do with the fact that injuries have kept me from working, so when able I'm going to be in the shop!

Beside, sweating is a body cleansing experience....

Regards,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
"Beside, sweating is a body cleansing experience...."

You can sweat and cleanse! Sweat while finishing does not work. Sweat, even dry, prior to finish does not work. Sweat, generally for me, does not work. That's why I chase the shade in summer. 
Smirk

It's really hard to think of AC in a garage. In the Puget Sound area, whole-house AC is a luxury, but we have it. Most people have those room cans, simply because there may be a month that justifies AC. Last summer ours crashed just before the peak 3 weeks, and after a week I never missed the artificial temperature. Our evenings normally drop about 15 degrees. I have an attic fan to install along with some switches for the AC.
Los Angeles. My shop is in a small (500sf) commercial space next to a guitar store that used to be a piano store. They repaired pianos in my space years ago. The roll up door opens directly westward. Winter can be chilly but certainly not "Chicago cold." Summers are fine in the morning and when the "wall of heat" direct sunlight reaches into the shop, it's time to go home.

I outgrew my home garage then the small shed out back. Then I found this small space nearby and have enjoyed every day in there for the past six years. Nice to have a place to go.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday