Design: The Milking Stool - a trivet
I am a designer. I spent 40 years throwing the same material at uniquely different problems. Some of the problems had formulaic solutions, but constraints were never the same. I assess situations and resolve problems. It's a ruthlessly blunt process to design. Always critical. Critical as in productive review to come to a good, if not best, working solution.

In woodworking I watch the blogs and read the same magazines everyone else  on this forum follows; most of them.  When I look at projects by published woodworkers I always find questions or flaws. There is no intent to put myself above the good folks who hang their necks out for my target practice. So get over your deity worship, and open your eyes. Because I plan to critique the stuff we admire. 

I am watching The Schwarz fall into the abyss of dry sockets and silly objects. I met him when he built his first bench for Pop Wood. He is still building work benches. And despite his design formulae, he can really botch a good bench. But this post is about furniture short some parts--legs, specifically. And, Chris is showing us one in his Pop Wood blog. Gaaaahjhh! I'm New Form illiterate. Here's the link 

It's a work in progress, or failure, according to Chris. So just a couple nice observations:

1. Trivets are for resting on not-flat surfaces. And, milking stools are for rough floors that four legs don't align to very well. They both do the same thing. They support heavy objects that need to be centered over the three support legs on weird surfaces. Most people don't consider a second use of milk stools, allowing the milker to easily fall away from a milkee kicking at or pushing into the milker. A cousin taught me that lesson in my single-digit age days. I even used three fingers to squirt the milk shake.

Everything with three legs suffers from the same complication. They fall over far more easily than furniture (stuff) with four legs. They are dangerous for people older than single-digit age. Try and convince Medicare to provide you with a 'tricycle' electric scooter.

Finally, it is doubtful the three-legger will sit over anything other than laser shot and finished floors. 

2. This second point hinges on a fetish Schwarz has for sharp pointy things. Sit on that stool and milk four Elsies the Cows. You will be on your knees part way through Elsie #1. Design demands comfort when we sit. Now, we can design for discomfort, and do that more than most realize. But I am not in a discomfort business so practicality reigns, and I won't sit on sharp pointy objects.
Interesting-last year I built a couple of three legged stools for our two grandsons (2 & 3). I tossed both because of how easily they tipped over (stools, not the boys). I have no idea of a formula for specifying how much the legs should splay, but I did have them go beyond the perimeter, yet they were not stable.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Try and find a new production office chair that has less than 5 casters on the floor.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

For awhile designers were moving away from traditional children's tricycles. The all-metal ones. The new (old, now) monster wheels were nearly impossible to tip. I think they even locked the turn swing of the Red Rider Wagon front axle to less than 90 degrees.

Marketing is always an evil of shared information. And, magazines always publish articles that utilize advertiser's equipment in the construction process. I think Pop Wood is (has been) the one that forged its own path since the early 2000's. Fine Woodworking, in contrast, does really goofy stuff contrary to reasonable practices. I need to critique FWW, but they are too costly and don't give anything away. Recent Library remodels make in-building magazine reading uncomfortable (Read, design for discomfort.)

Office chairs (
Wink
Cool
Big Grin) Try drafting chairs. I learned to straddle the seat with one foot on the floor. Which led to a herniated disc. We also grew into large format sheets which are not compatible with drafting from a chair.
(03-18-2017, 01:04 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Office chairs (
Wink
Cool
Big Grin) Try drafting chairs. I learned to straddle the seat with one foot on the floor. Which led to a herniated disc. We also grew into large format sheets which are not compatible with drafting from a chair.

Wow. That sure stirred a long ago memory of my dad straddling his drafting chair. I still have and use it, but I tend to slide off the seat...
Ag
(03-19-2017, 07:34 AM)AgGEM Wrote: Wow. That sure stirred a long ago memory of my dad straddling his drafting chair. I still have and use it, but I tend to slide off the seat...
Ag

Plastic (vinyl) is never good. Always use fabric seats. Never castered drafting chairs; and 5 legs when truly sitting, but 4 worked in the flamingo position.

It's always hilarious to see the shocked expression of someone who tips over, and embarrassment when it's me who tips.
Three legs do have value.

1. Three legs are a style. Just be careful about the leg length and weight placed on them. I do like Escher stools but have yet to sit on similar.

2. Three legs are easy to level. They can even be 'almost level'.

3. Three leg furniture is more economical than that with four-legs.

4. A trivet and Big-wheel Trike are low hung; basically, a surface resting on stubs. If they tip, not much soup will spill when a pot edge leans into a counter.
"just start working wood and using the tools you have and can afford. "
+1
BontzSawWorks.net
Haven't made any 3 legged stools, but I have made several of the Moravian milking stools and they come in handy around the house. Plant stand, extra seating, stack int eh corner of the pantry when not needed, etc...