Broken Plane Iron
That blade must have had brittle steel and not been hardened through its length.

I would forget about trying to repair it and, instead, re-purpose it as a scraper. It is good to create a Stewmac-type scraper ...

[Image: FinishingTheDrawers_html_m555852.jpg]

There are details for creating one near the end of this article on preparing scraper blades ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...raper.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Well, you win the prize. I once used my #48 so quickly that the blades got hot to the touch but I never outright BROKE a blade.

I think Derek is on to something. I have seen processes where these blades are heat treated. Mostly air quench and mostly the bottom third. Your break is about where the heat treating stopped. Probably made the metal very unhappy at the transition point. You can test this theory by using a scribe and scratching a line up the blade. It should leave a light scratch near the end where the metal is hard and a heavy scratch at the top where the metal is soft. Most times when I do this, I can really see a difference once I reach the transition point.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(03-18-2017, 02:41 PM)cwarner Wrote: Rich,

The blade is 1 11/32" wide, 1/16" thick and mine was 4" long before breaking.  Just a plane blade with no grooves in the back like a 60 1/2 blade has.

Chris (not Curt, sorry), no joy, I thought I had one but do not.  Maybe Dave will have success.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yahtzee!!! I can't believe I actually found something in the mess I call a shop.

Chris, shoot me a PM. You can have the whole plane if you want it. It will cost you the shipping charges.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
First off, Yahtzee is an all time favorite game .. a secondly I greatly appreciate the offer.  PM sent.
~ Chris
WooHoo. It's not a collector's piece but it is a good honest plane saved from the trash heap and going back to work. Great job to both.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com