Windows once again
I do not want to look like a real geek when I start looking for windows and not know terminology and things. I asked this question here before but did not get a realy clear answer. Will be replacing my windows this year which are 2 over 2 single pane windows with storm windows. I want to leave the frame in the wall and not disturb the outside. So I want to just change the sahes and the tracks.   What is this type window called????  I would love to be able to use Replacement Windows by Anderson but will they install windows like this or will they only sell entire windows where you have to take out entire window frame???  If not Anderson how about Marvin???  I want to stay with a big name for warrenty work. I am talking only 9 windows, a back patio door and possibly a front picture window. This is a ranch house. Thank you. Any other info would be appreciated. Will probably go to Home Depot sometime in the next 2 weeks to get the ideas started but would like to be more informed.
John T.
What I would do is start calling some window replacement companies and have them come out and look at your house. Ask them these questions. Be upfront with them and tell them that you are going to get at least 3 estimates. After 2 or 3 visits, you will have a better understanding of terminology and what is practical and what isn't. Now, keep in mind that at least 1 salesman is going to lie to you and blow smoke up your rear. However, at least you will learn how to spot the dishonest guy and not call him back. I did this when we were doing windows, siding, covering the trim and adding gutters. It was easy to spot the guy that we didn't want touching our house.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I think what you are looking for are called insert windows.    Anderson does make these along  with other companies.   With insert windows you leave the existing frame and interior and exterior trim.  Try this LINK to Anderson as it explains the installation of a insert window.   Remember the glass area may be a little smaller with a insert vs full frame.   Roly
We did the replacement window thing on our house.  Small 1848 farm house, three bedrooms.  We wanted to keep the look but reduce the maintenance.  

Let me explain.  In front we had two 5 x 8 true divided light windows, 40 x 2 + 80 panes to clean.  We have lots of big oak trees that snow yellow pollen in the spring which means I have to wash windows in the spring and then again in the fall.  (Wife agreement so I can have a wood shop.  Win-Win.)  So to wash them, I was on a ladder for ever.  Then I had to go inside to do those.  80 x 2 = 160.  Since the dividers  were painted wood, I would have to scrape and paint them, then scrap off any paint on the glass.

So when we decided to replace the windows, we went with interior grids.  Looks the same from the outside but I can now clean then with a bucket of warm water, a little bit of Dawn, large scrubber on a stick, and a good squeegee.  Now takes minutes and the end result is better.  New windows reduced drafts pretty much all over the house.  Good long term investment.  

For your consideration...
Are the existing windows Double Hung windows? Where on or both sashes slide up and down?

If so, you need double hung replacement windows. You remove the old sashes, balances and any track on the sides of the frame. This leaves the exterior framework and interior framework, including the sill in place.

Then you replace those sashes with new replacement windows. Install 1/4 round in the interior around the new frame and caulk everything in place and paint the interior frame and new 1/4 round.

Andersen has a great video n YouTube for installation. Andresen allows you to choose the sill angle when you order replacements. I've never seen that before. Usually you have a sloppy vinyl channel that adjusts to fill the gap left by the angle and you screw and caulk it in place.

Here's the Andersen video:

This is a video installing a vinyl replacement in a more "real world" environment:
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS