Nova G3 chuck w/ visible wobble
To go along with the new lathe (Nova Galaxi) I decided to get another scroll chuck and figured I would try a Nova G3.  I have a Oneway Stronghold and just picked up a new insert adapter to fit the bigger spindle.  It works well, but it only has the original set of jaws and one set of jumbo jaws.   Accessories for this chuck are on the expensive side too,  and the jaws available for the Nova chucks are quite a bit cheaper.

So Amazon has one of these chucks in the warehouse deals section for a few bucks off the new price and having bought lots of stuff off that site, I figured why not.  Returns are super easy and never contested, so I never worry if something doesn't work out.  All you loose is time.  Lately though, I wonder if they don't read the original buyers reason for the return and look at the item and judge it by cosmetics only.

The chuck came tonight along with a few sets of different size jaws.  I mounted a set of 100mm jaws and installed the insert and mounted it on the lathe.  Then I noticed that it had a wobble.  I'm not sure how much runout it is, but if you can see it, it's not good.  I removed the jaws and you can still see the runout.  I also noticed that when fully closed, the jaws sides don't exactly fit flush.  Bummer.

So whether its the chuck itself, or the insert, I'm not sure but both are going back.  If I order another G3, this one will be new.  I could also go with a supernova2, its about 30 more. 

What I'm curious about is what others think about these chucks.  I know I'm spoiled by the quality of the Oneway, but reviews I've read seem to be pretty favorable on Nova chucks.  I thought the fit and finish of the chuck was good, the jaws fair to good and the insert, fair.  It had more slop than the Oneway that is probably 7 or 8 years old.  What say you all?
I've had some fun with chucks the last year or so. I've returned 3 different brands and have come to the conclusion that there is a lack of exacting tolerances in wood lathe chuck manufacturing. I haven't tried Vicmarc or Oneway, but have tried several other brands and had runout issues. Ironically, my most recent chuck, a Nova Supernova 2 is pretty decent and I'm keeping it.
I've not experienced that problem with any Nova chucks I have.  I'd get a SN2 chuck, though.  The G3 is really too small a chuck for the larger things you'll be turning on the Galaxi.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-20-2017, 11:14 PM)AHill Wrote: I've not experienced that problem with any Nova chucks I have.  I'd get a SN2 chuck, though.  The G3 is really too small a chuck for the larger things you'll be turning on the Galaxi.

That's where I'm leaning too.  Though I have the Oneway for larger items, it doesnt have the larger jaws on it.

Are the Record chucks clones of Nova's?  I thought I read somewhere that the Nova jaws will fit on them, and they look pretty similar.
I have seven novas (four G3's).
Simple things you may try.
Remove the insert and run a small brush around the inside.  Then wet a q-tip and run it around.  A very small shard of metal may cause runout.
Makes sure the insert is set fully.  Some are tough.  Put on the lathe with the spindle lock (set screw in chuck not engaged) and use your breaker bar between jaws to see if the insert will seat more.  The transfer of power/alignment is from the end of the insert and the interior of the chuck.
It probably is but are you sure the insert is an oem Nova?
Jaws not aligning.  Sometimes the ring on the back is very tight and hard to press into the groove.  When tightening the jaws leave them about 1/4 turn loose before your scroll in.  This will allow them to smooze into the proper position.  Then finish tightening the jaws.  If they are really tight first you may not be able to move to a true circle.

My lathe is 16" but I use the G3's as much, or more, than the SN2's.
Check into flat jaws for your Stronghold.                              https://oneway.ca/index.php?route=produc..._69_97_162

I have them and they are great. I don't do a lot of big projects, but it could be done. Buy it form Oneway and save a few bucks, resellers charge more.
I'm going to go ahead and get a SN2 to replace this one for now. The G3 size was fine, and I'll probably look at picking up one or two more chuck bodies down the line so I don't have to swap out jaws all the time.

The one that is being returned didnt have any swarf in it and the insert was in tight, I think it was just poor manufacturing/QC. The insert runs true on the spindle so I dont think that was the issue. Will see when the replacement gets here.
(03-21-2017, 06:01 AM)EvilTwin Wrote: That's where I'm leaning too.  Though I have the Oneway for larger items, it doesnt have the larger jaws on it.

Are the Record chucks clones of Nova's?  I thought I read somewhere that the Nova jaws will fit on them, and they look pretty similar.

Yes the Record's are clones as are the Sorby's.  Incidentally, these two higher priced "clones" are ones that had run out issues for me.  The cheaper Nova SN2 was better.
Chucks are not where you want to go cheap or inexpensive in your wood turning journey.  I have all Oneways(Talons and Strongholds).  Admittedly they cost more up front, but, the quality is there.  Like all chucks, cleaning is required when they get sticky.  I am firmly in the camp of a chuck for each set of jaws.  YMMV.
Joe
(03-22-2017, 09:28 AM)diverjo Wrote: Chucks are not where you want to go cheap or inexpensive in your wood turning journey.  

I am firmly in the camp of a chuck for each set of jaws.  YMMV.
Joe

I am the owner of a "cheap chuck" that I use on almost every piece I turn.  It's a $69 pin chuck from bestwoodtools.com

Highly recommended for everyone who turns bowls, albeit inexpensive.

I have an original Nova from 25+ years ago, still in use, and a Super which came with my used lathe.  I did have to back out the adapter, rethread without bottoming, and then put in the grub screw.  Think the guy must have dropped it while packing up in anticipation of his Oneway replacement.  Lathe and chuck.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.