Earlex HVLP ?????
I am considering buying the Earlex HV5500 that is on sale at Woodpecker Tools right now for $299.00 and includes both the 1.5 and the 2.0 tips and needles. Based on my reading through anything HVLP in this forum, I see the cheap HF HVLP spray gun recommended a lot. I have a 20gal California air compressor that does everything I need it to do and don't really see the need to upgrade it.I don't think my compressor will properly supply the HF gun but the price is very attractive. I currently plan on spraying basic stains, tints, dyes and some latex/water based paints but it's not something I would do on monthly basis let along weekly or daily.

Can you provide some pro's and cons to the Earlex vs HF and what accessories are recommended when I make the purchase ????

Thanks
Don
I've never used the Earlex, but from what I've read by others it will spray most anything on your list with those two N/N's.  The HF gun, I assume you mean the purple one, has a 1.4 mm N/N, and won't spray anything very well much above 40 seconds #4 Ford cup.  That means it will spray dyes, shellac, solvent based lacquer, and a few WB topcoats well, but it won't be capable of spraying many paints w/o a LOT of thinning, and that's not something you want to do.  

Also, your compressor needs to be able to output at least about 6 cfm at 40 psi to drive that gun. 

John
Thanks for the reply John.
I also have not used an Earlex but I would not count out conversion guns with you compressor. I have a 2HP 10gal Carftsman compressor and have used the purple HF gun and a QualSpray gun from Homestead. I have not found a time yet when the compressor couldn't keep up with me. I recently sprayed a 54" round table top and my arm got tired before the compressor ran out of air. John is right that the 1.4mm needle is a little small for clears but I sprayed plenty of GF 450 Exterior diluted 10-12% with the purple gun. There have been different versions of the HF gun that had larger needles. You had to specifically call CS and ask. I am not sure if the current version has other needles but a quick call to CS can answer the question.
The HF HVLP rig is a single stage turbine.  Works OK for thin stuff.  I bought one on sale and with a coupon for small money a while back and used (and still use it a little bit) for shellac.  Does a pretty good job.

But being a single stage, not a lot of umph for thicker stuff.  And the gun is a pain in the butt to clean as is the cup since it threads onto the gun.  You can't use cup liners with it due to the threads.

For not a lot more money than the Earlex 3 stage unit and maybe about 2x the cost of their blue plastic 2 stage unit, you can get a 4 stage HVLP.  I bought one over a year ago and all in was around $700 ($550 for the turbine + gun) including four sets of needle/nozzles/aircaps, cleaning needles & brushes and a bunch of gaskets and other replacement parts plus the shipping cost.  Keep in mind, that you have to replace gaskets and filters on the guns.  And N/N sets can cost big money.  In my case, this company was selling the N/N sets for $30 each instead of the $70 and up for the Earlex ones.  

I feel I got a good deal and have been very happy with the system.  Sprayfine A-401.

It is a pressurized cup-under design but is also a bleeder design so it is continuously pushing air out the front.  The alternative design is a non-bleeder.  The air has to go somewhere otherwise the turbine unit will give up prematurely.  I've had no issues with using a bleeder gun (FYI, the HF HVLP rig is a bleeder design too as well as the blue Earlex 2-stage design).  Spare guns are $140 and I can also get a pressurized cup-over design, remote pressure pot, etc if I wanted them.

You just have to pay attention and don't point the gun at wet finish if you aren't spraying.  Most turbines have bypass on them and can use non-bleeder guns but the theory is that the unit heats up more.  I have no way of testing the theory and really don't feel I need to.

I'm not using this rig every day like John or Snipe may with their systems.  But as a weekend-warrior type woodworking it has worked great pushing dyes, shellac (up to 3# and down to 1#), waterborne urethenes (indoor and outdoor formulations), enamel-latex paint, acrylic paint (GF Milk paint) and a few other things.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks for the reply's and information,

My timing on starting this search has proved to be good timing as I got a email from Rockler this morning that has the Earlex 5500 on sale for $299.00 and includes 1.5 & 2.0 needles and tips and on top of all that they throw in a $50.00 gift card which makes the decision very easy to make now. I will be placing my order either today or tomorrow to take advantage of the sale price and offer.

Thanks again.
I have that Earlex and it sprays thinner stuff like shellac and WB clear finishes like General Finish high performance poly just fine and leaves a very nice finish. The thickest I have sprayed is Benjamin Moore Advance paint. It required a lot of thinning with water. I seem to recall up to 20% with water. For me as a novice sprayer, it was a challenge.

The whole system is easy to use. If I wanted to spray more latex type paints I'd be thinking about a stronger turbine.
Had one. Wasn't overly impressed however I was at the first stages in my life of spraying with an HVLP. It seemed like I had to thin everything to get it to spray nice. I bought an Apollo and it had a ton more power. I have to thin some solvent lacquers. Polyurethanes and water borne I haven't had to thin yet. That's what I've experienced
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
Fuji Mini Mite. Love it.
I still have a lightly used Earlex 5500. I was underwhelmed to say the least but a $300 HVLP is exactly that. It's good for dyes and seal coat shellac but that's where I draw the line. Anything else, for me, was too finicky and thinned for my liking. I also don't like bleeder guns. That said, I'm also a bit of a finishing "snob". I can't live with a finish that's not top notch for any project I really care about. I bought a used 4 stage and It does what I need. Spray equipment is a cry once purchase, IMO.