WTB White oak block
I am repairing a chair for me SIL and messed up the one block I had that was the right size. 

I need a block of white oak, 5"x5" by 13" long

Any help ?? Something as simple as a band saw blade breaking at the wrong time can cause a big problem!!!
5" wide x 13" long and 5" Thick?

Id love to see what youre doing that you need a 5" thick piece for a chair. Can you do a stack glueup?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I was hoping to avoid it but might have to, It is for the back brace that connects to the seat and has a large curve.
Look for a piece of firewood, no idea where you would find it anywhere else.
There are lots of beams around that size or larger. Check with house movers as they cut them off occasionally to fit certain lengths. You might get lucky and find something unchecked and fairly dry.
Or try a timber framer.  Their cutoffs are rather large but do tend to have checking.
(03-23-2017, 07:10 AM)1Spirit Wrote: I was hoping to avoid it but might have to, It is for the back brace that connects to the seat and has a large curve.

If you are doing what I suspect you are, it would be stronger if you took a straight-grain board and steam bend it than it would if you carve a curved piece out of a solid block.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.