High quality bench top drill presses
I want a floor standing dp to replace my bench dp.  I don't really want to get rid of the bench, but with the DP, a grinder, and a toolbox on it, it's pretty worthless. And I just don't have the space.  I really would like a small mill-drill, I keep thinking about the G704 or one of the other machines like that.

On edit: A friend was selling his delta floor standing model, so I bought it, but haven't brought it home yet. Not sure what to do with the Delta benchtop. I used to have a pretty nice benchtop I bought from a machine tool dealer. It cost me almost $1000 in today's dollar. Gave it away when I went into the military
There are many good drill presses you can check them here https://www.thetoolsmaster.com/best-dril...s-reviews/
I went into harbor freight 7 years ago and asked to buy the cheap one for $65.  They told me it was in the second truck all the way to the front.
They then asked me if I would get another one for the same price and it was this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-in-16-s...61786.html

I have drilled 1" steel and many other things and it is a great drill press and I have used a lot of them in the military.
Yes I would recommend it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If the bottom of your DP is just like the one shown below, would you be happy with the restrained amount of table travel if you shorten the column?

https://www.thetoolsmaster.com/wp-conten...-press.jpg
I purchased this Dremel stand over a year past and whereas I did mount the dremel in it my usage didn't extremely imply this. that's until this last week... The drill press came in handy whereas putting in a replacement device. I had to drill precise holes in detector mounts so as to avoid having to drill further holes in my door frames. This stand actually created the duty abundantly easier.

Maybe at some purpose, I will have some elaborated woodwork to try to however unless you have got a selected use in mind I would not purchase this with the Dremel as I did (especially if you have already got a drill press)
(03-22-2017, 01:19 PM)wrb Wrote: I currently have a 17" Jet floor standing drill press.  I had this for about 14 years and use it rarely. Not really high quality but it does what I need. I would like to gain some floor space by going with a bench top drill press that I can place on top of an existing cabinet.

In looking at current crop of bench top machines, I did not see one that appears to be high quality.  Started looking at older, US made machines, and found a very clean looking Powermatic 1100, but it is missing the nuts on the depth adjustment rod.  I am not sure if I can find those parts.  Do you know if those parts can easily be sourced? If so, from where / who?

There are some other Walker Turner and Rockwell machines listed in CL around me, but most of them need some refurbishing that I am not willing to commit at this point. I found one very clean looking Walker Turner variable speed version. Convenience of VS is definitely attractive. However, after learning VS versions have vibration at low speeds (need for forstner bits), I decided to not go for it.  How bad is the vibration at low speeds on these machines? Does it essentially eliminate comfortable usage with forstner bits? Am I overreacting, or are these really not the best option for woodworking?

I really like the new Nova Voyager, but it is also a floor standing machine.  Would have gone for the bench top version if it were available.

Are there some new and high quality bench top machines at sub $1k price point that you recommend or or should I keep looking for old machines?

As a reference point, most of my machines & power tools are Minimax, Agazzani, Festool, etc. So, I really appreciate quality and don't mind paying for it within reason.
I would snag the Powermatic if it is in good condition with a good price...For the depth adjusting nuts, they are still probably stocked by PM, but if not, you can make something just as good if not better..Just check Youtube ..mrpete222..He has a video showing a very good system.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-22-2017, 01:19 PM)wrb Wrote: I currently have a 17" Jet floor standing drill press.  I had this for about 14 years and use it rarely. Not really high quality but it does what I need. I would like to gain some floor space by going with a bench top drill press that I can place on top of an existing cabinet.

In looking at current crop of bench top machines, I did not see one that appears to be high quality.  Started looking at older, US made machines, and found a very clean looking Powermatic 1100, but it is missing the nuts on the depth adjustment rod.  I am not sure if I can find those parts.  Do you know if those parts can easily be sourced? If so, from where / who?

There are some other Walker Turner and Rockwell machines listed in CL around me, but most of them need some refurbishing that I am not willing to commit at this point. I found one very clean looking Walker Turner variable speed version. Convenience of VS is definitely attractive. However, after learning VS versions have vibration at low speeds (need for forstner bits), I decided to not go for it.  How bad is the vibration at low speeds on these machines? Does it essentially eliminate comfortable usage with forstner bits? Am I overreacting, or are these really not the best option for woodworking?

I really like the new Nova Voyager, but it is also a floor standing machine.  Would have gone for the bench top version if it were available.

Are there some new and high quality bench top machines at sub $1k price point that you recommend or or should I keep looking for old machines?

As a reference point, most of my machines & power tools are Minimax, Agazzani, Festool, etc. So, I really appreciate quality and don't mind paying for it within reason.

I agree with Jack, the Powermatic. A post over at OWWM.org would probably eventually get you those parts.

Good luck,

Doug