Cost of HVAC replacement
Looking at replacing our homes HVAC system.
5 ton A/C , gas furnace, two story home with 2 -14 inch zone dampners.
How much do you think this will cost using a 14 SEER unit?
" That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

100$ to 100k $ 

No easy way to estimate as prices vary wildly. I did ours last year 3.5 ton ac two stage furnace all new everything as its in a different spot in the house now. All said and done a little over 4k but I did it myself so that won't help much.
I believe you should go for the same vendor or the company or store from where you got the installation, if possible. It might be very flexible for you also the cost can be taken into consideration being an old customer and discounted parts can also be claimed..
(03-22-2017, 08:06 PM)thinshavings Wrote: Looking at replacing our homes HVAC system.

Unless you are in a very high cost area, $4000 or so will get a decent, high efficiency furnace and A/C by a good brand but not one of the flashy overpriced brands.  Probably $3K if you go with Goodman or similar brands.
(03-22-2017, 08:06 PM)thinshavings Wrote: Looking at replacing our homes HVAC system.

I'm guessing you live in Texas  
Uhoh  .  The average cost for a good named brand and a good job would be 7-9 thousand or 9-12 thousand.

A good job is going to include a 4" filter system, update any returns and duct, load calculation, thermostats, slabs, update to codes, possibly replace refrigerant lines that may be the wrong size, 10-12 year warranty coverage- and labor if you like, test all static pressures and zoning controlling......

If you have a particular zoning system made for a specific brand (example- Carrier), you may have to replace the zone controls to adapt to the new system, unless you stay with that brand- but then, not always.

If you take the 4k job, be prepared to beat yourself in the head for doing so.

This is a good time to update any attic insulation and/or windows if need be. R38 is the standard now. Ducting is now R8. These two may reduce the load enough to go 4 tons if the ducting permits.

Conclusively, there is no way to really guess your actual cost- too many factors involved.
(03-23-2017, 09:03 PM)daddo Wrote: The average cost for a good named brand and a good job would be 7-9 thousand or 9-12 thousand.

A good job is going to include a 4" filter system, update any returns and duct, load calculation, thermostats, slabs, update to codes, possibly replace refrigerant lines that may be the wrong size, 10-12 year warranty coverage- and labor if you like, test all static pressures and zoning controlling......

If you take the 4k job, be prepared to beat yourself in the head for doing so.

Good gracious, $7K seems way, way high for anyplace in Texas.  When you consider it's less than a week of work to install and the installer's cost for the equipment is in the $2K range, maybe $2.5K if Carrier, etc. $5K would be really high for the labor, the equivalent of about $260K a year, way high for an HVAC contractor.

Around here, one would pay around $5K for a Carrier system IF they do all the work you list.

Given the notable Carrier issues in the last few years or so, though, in my opinion one is better off going with a better brand that does not overcharge for the name such as Rheem.  That expert-installed $4K Rheem system with a 20 year to lifetime warranty will likely be a more economical option for many people.

If you want to go cheap, pay the $2K to $3K to have a Goodman installed.  Curiously people seem to be having mostly positive experiences with Goodman these days, used to be everyone thought they were junk.  The big difference in cost is that Goodman doesn't have a 90% profit margin like Carrier.
(03-27-2017, 12:33 PM)geek2me Wrote: Good gracious, $7K seems way, way high for anyplace in Texas.  When you consider it's less than a week of work to install and the installer's cost for the equipment is in the $2K range, maybe $2.5K if Carrier, etc. $5K would be really high for the labor, the equivalent of about $260K a year, way high for an HVAC contractor.

Around here, one would pay around $5K for a Carrier system IF they do all the work you list.

Given the notable Carrier issues in the last few years or so, though, in my opinion one is better off going with a better brand that does not overcharge for the name such as Rheem.  That expert-installed $4K Rheem system with a 20 year to lifetime warranty will likely be a more economical option for many people.

If you want to go cheap, pay the $2K to $3K to have a Goodman installed.  Curiously people seem to be having mostly positive experiences with Goodman these days, used to be everyone thought they were junk.  The big difference in cost is that Goodman doesn't have a 90% profit margin like Carrier.

Two things are very expensive in tx, one is HVAC the other is roofing. Those prices daddo quoted are normal here and many are even higher. 

One I would stay away from is the higher seer trane units as they as well as Daikin have issues with their control boards. Daikin often not being programmed at the factory and doa. Trane has the issue of if your board dies it has to be ordered from trane  for your unit and  it may take a few weeks to get it. Do you want to go without ac for a week when it's over 100* and only gets to 80* just before the sun comes up...
         Other issues are with the ecm motors. They are expensive and in my experience with using them they don't save any appreciable electricity especially when you consider replacement motors can be $500. 

I ended up putting a goodman in our house since we are moving soon. I would have gone with another brand if staying as the goodman furnaces are not as quiet as others.  But I can't complain. Went a half ton bigger as the old one was undersized. We can keep it warmer in the winter and use less gas. And we can keep it at 75* in the summer though if we were staying I would have designed it to hold 72* in the summer when it's 105* to 117* (yes summer here sucks and is humid)
LIL here.

We just moved into a new house last year. One of the contingencies was the seller had to replace both HVAC units as they were mostly inoperable. We got two new Rheem 14 seer heat pumps (downstairs 2 ton, upstairs 1.5 ton) this included new refrigerant lines and relocation of slabs, electrical to other side of house. We reused the existing ducting. Emergency heat is electric strips as we do not have natural gas for furnace.

Total cost was ~$10500. This is in Central Virginia.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
Our new system was close to $9k for a replacement of everything but the ducting with a quite 18 seer system in DFW/Texas.
(03-29-2017, 07:15 AM)Destinmatt Wrote: Our new system was close to $9k for a replacement of everything but the ducting with a quite 18 seer system in DFW/Texas.

Pretty much inline. The issue is there isn't much to the units but the profits of the companies making them are massive. Think of it this way you can buy buy a new car for what an ac system replacement costs and there is allot more cost in building a car than there is ac units. The cost of building higher efficiency units isn't that much either but anything green or efficient (or organic)can carry a premium because people think it costs much more to make. 

16 seer is pretty much the line to stop at. Higher seer units have more complex expensive repairs that negate any energy savings.