Jointer Fence Warped and Twisted
I'm changing out the cutterhead on my ShopFox 8" jointer and while removing the fence noticed it was twisted and has a bow in the middle. Machine is ~10 years old and until now I've compensated. Looking online it looks like folks sit them on 2x4's and then stand in the middle to hopefully straighten it. Some also clamp one end to a bench and clamp a 2x4 to the other end and attempt to "twist" the twist out of it.

Having it re-ground is always an option, but looks like the most expensive. What say you?

Thanks,

Doug
I'd compare the cost of a new fence versus having it ground flat and straight. If a new fence comes in twisted, you can send it back under warranty. It's worth a shot either way.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry

Rolleyes
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Some casting are "semi steel" and are bendable, I' ve done it. Others are such poor quality if you look at them badly, they break. I've done that ,too.
A man of foolish pursuits
Maybe add a wood face to it, flatten it, then a plastic laminate smooth face for less friction?
glue some sandpaper down on a granite plate and get to work lapping?

Laugh
Send it out, have it surface ground.
Swung by a machine shop this morning and got a ballpark estimate from the owner/machinist after describing the job to him, of $150 - $250. Said he could dial it in a little closer if I brought it by for him to see. More than I'm willing to spend. May take a shot at trying to sand it out myself on a rigid flat surface with stick-on sandpaper.

Doug
Doug, depending on how much of a bow, that could be an awful lot of sanding.  I had a similar problem with a Powermatic 50 fence, and I did the stand on it with shims on the ends, and made it better.
I had the same problem and I had it ground flat. It was 15-20 years ago. I believe the cost was $35.00 I would try another shop and bring the fence with you.
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!