Anyone in Greenville/Spartanburg sc?
We are going to be there on the 8th. IIs one of the places we are looking at moving to and looking for info on woodworking suppliers and iinfo on what areas age good to live in etc. We are looking for places outside a city limits preferably but don't know the area yet. We will have a chance to make another trip leather in the month as well but not set in stone yet. Loml has a long layover there so we will get a rental car. We are also looking at other areas in SC and NC but proximity to an airport is the biggest need. The GSP area is a good possibility as if for some reason she can get a flight home I can drive to charlotte and pick her up as its not that far.                                    

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Have you checked the Woodnet Member Map?

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1703585&location=usa -- Click on the + a few times.
Robert,
I live in Columbia, but I lived in Spartanburg and worked in Greenville some years ago, so I am pretty familiar with the area. If your priority is accessibility to air travel, you might want to do some research into the commercial air traffic in and out of Greenville Spartanburg. GSP and CAE (Columbia) are between the big Charlotte and Atlanta hubs. Direct flight to most places out of GSP and CAE are few and far between. Most stopover in Atlanta or Charlotte for connections to the rest off the world.
Having said that, I love the "Upstate" area. Both Greenville and Spartanburg have beautiful old residential neighborhoods and there are some really nice real estate developments away from then cities. If you're into horses, the area North of Spartanburg is quickly turning into a world class equestrian center. You should have no trouble finding something that suits you. Also, Greenville has a very active woodworking club with a wonderful, large, fully equipped shop for club members' use.
Good luck with your search and an early Welcome to South Carolina!
Hank
Loml hhs met a few co workers that llive in Columbia and commute. Location is due to loml as she is going to transfer to charlotte but will commute from were ever we are. And nice to be in driving distance of Charlotte if for some reason she can't get home.  Funny thing is every time we travel we watch loads and it's always easier if we had lived in that area... DFW is a ppin to get to because so many Chicago flights get cancelled and DFW is the main detour. Don't care about direct flights but I am surprised at the number of flights into GSP considering how close it is to Charlotte. 

Not into horses. I have the same opinion of them as James May... We prefer a place away from town and not close to neighbors. Harder to find places like that here than it is here. But I have found a few to look at that have anywhere between 3 and 15 acres but the houses aren't that great. I'm not doing another major remodel but if we find the right pplace the property can make up for having to remodel a little more. On the good side house values have gone up almost 50% here since we bought 6 years ago so should be good when we sell.
        I kind of prefer the area towards Rutherfordton in NC but loml is pushing SC. Nicer houses for the $ and in the foothills. Either way the weather is better there than here cooler winters and summers and within driving distance of allot and there are trees and green stuff grows on the ground.

Oh and it's very hard to find places with shops or large outbuildings compared to here as well. So most likely I'll end up having to build a shop unless we get lucky. Also I have noticed that garages aren't very common there either, lots of houses without them. Don't really want a pier and beam house either unless it has a basement. They also like package unit AC units there too.
I lived in Boiling Springs SC which is a great area west of Spartanburg. The other area to look at is the Greer area which is closer to Greenville and the GSP airport. I learned that Greenville area has so much more to offer then Spartanburg, plus they have a Woodcraft Store in Greenville lol. I think the crime rate is much higher around the Spartanburg area. They have a lot of troubled areas around downtown.
 As for healthcare, Greenville area is hands down a better, as is shopping and entertainment too. 
Scott
Good to hear Boiling springs was one of the places I have been looking at. I have looked at the crime rates and it's quite a bit higher than here course that's the case for much of the country... It's really quiet here in the Fort Worth side of DFW. Low crime and there are no bad areas downtown but I don't go there anyway as we aren't bar hoppers or overpriced restaraunt people. But FW has oone of the best down towns for tourists.

I will look more at the Greer area as well. I'm trying to get houses saved to look at. 

Also I would assume there are some local sawmills someewhere. Oh and since I'm so used to it does amazon do same day delivery there? It's hard to find a map of where amazon covers.
I don't think Amazon has same day delivery, it not that big of an area. There are some sawmill around Ashville NC which is less than an hour north on Hwy 26. There are some wholesale /retail lumber companies in the area but most carry surfaced lumber so if your looking for rough lumber to save money Ashville is the only place I found. I lived there for nine years but moved back to the west coast a few years ago, I hear the area is growing.
 Here are a few places that you can find info on woodworking in the area
http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/ and you might want to check out http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/forum.php both will have good info on woodworking in the area.
Scott
Thanks. Ashville is where a friend of mine lived for a short time after he retired then got suckered back to the upper east coast to play free babysitter for the grand kids. He wasn't happy about moving back as he liked the area. Had the timing worked out we may have bought his house.

So far have a few houses and trying to get a rental car. Seems most of them close at 2 pm on Saturday there... Really don't want to make a trip back to the airport to get a car. The hotel van will do it but I don't like bothering them too much.
I live in Greenville, work in Greer. Been here most of my life. I'll be happy to meet you when you're here, if I'm free. Just send a PM if interested.

FYI, my shop is largely in hibernation, and I haven't even tried to join the guild because I'm in that stage of life with middle and high school aged kids. I just don't have enough hours in my days.
(03-27-2017, 09:32 PM)SCMedLion Wrote: I live in Greenville, work in Greer. Been here most of my life. I'll be happy to meet you when you're here, if I'm free. Just send a PM if interested.

FYI, my shop is largely in hibernation, and I haven't even tried to join the guild because I'm in that stage of life with middle and high school aged kids. I just don't have enough hours in my days.

Cool. It's just us now as daughter is on her own and doing well so we are really boring.... We will only be there for the day as she is working and I'm tagging along and she has the whole day there.  

As soon  as the house is finished my shop the garage and my mechanics tools etc that are to stored at various places will all be packed up and hibernating till after we move. I have way way more stuff than she does. I'm starting to think 40' shipping container and have it moved... If it all fits...