A wood turning Kickstarter
(03-24-2017, 01:19 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Why didn't I think of it
Wink

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146...escription

There's a trick version out there if you're into practical jokes.  Red oak.

[Image: Cuppa-Tea_zpsgwx5quyz.jpg]
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-25-2017, 07:34 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: My thought was that the steel base was a way of plugging the end grain so that the thing didn't leak or weap.

I think the stainless steel is mostly just cosmetic. 

$92K and still climbing. I bet it breaks $120K by the time it finishes. Maybe even 150K. This is thier 8 th project 7 of which hit thier goals.
That was so good for Joe and very very happy he got it done.
Yes

Is Joe still here or did he get to busy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-25-2017, 07:34 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: My thought was that the steel base was a way of plugging the end grain so that the thing didn't leak or weap.

That should not be necessary for white oak. For red oak, it definitely would be likely.

Someone suggested cosmetics, but it seems like a lot of extra manufacturing cost for just cosmetics.

I am wondering about counterbalance for resting the glass on its side. I need to look at the dimensions of the whiskey glasses with that capability.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-25-2017, 07:35 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: There's a trick version out there if you're into practical jokes.  Red oak.

[Image: Cuppa-Tea_zpsgwx5quyz.jpg]

That is a lot of work for a gag.

The gag might work even better if there are 2 of them, one white and one red, for the pranker and prankee,
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
There were two of the red oak.  I did a pair, hoping that I could get one good enough to give a marvelous community-minded women who collects bone china.  She seemed pleased with the other, which had a better refinement of lip and handle.

Dribble cup.
(03-25-2017, 02:45 PM)iclark Wrote: That should not be necessary for white oak. For red oak, it definitely would be likely.

Someone suggested cosmetics, but it seems like a lot of extra manufacturing cost for just cosmetics.

True but it adds to the look. It probably wouldn't sell as well without the SS base.

Seems to me it would also help keep the base from splitting as it soaks/dries plus a more stable base that would also slide more easily.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Overthinking it, I would say.  The fibers would develop a permanent compression "set" after the first dozen or so cycles.

FWIW, letting the inside dry exposed directly to air and the outside stay wet against the table would cause stresses similar to those many folks have cursed when making wooden goblets. Splits happen.  I elevate the bases of my turned goblets to allow circulation on both sides simultaneously.  Seems to work fine.
not a kickstarter, but i found this a little while ago:

https://www.amazon.com/SmoakTM-Chubb-Cig...oden+cigar

$30!!!!  
Eek
Eek