Pine Table Project
If you want to build along...use whatever wood you have.    Shakers sure did.  

Just showing how I build one of these projects.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I love it Bandit and how you can get any wood to work for you and all your hand tools
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It takes a whole new technique to work that soft pine. I've done a lot of it. Tear outs, dings, knots, shrinking, expanding and all that can make you go mad.  
I do like the looks of it though and it will get a golden patina with age.  You're doing good.
Sand it, sand it, sand it and then sand it down to 200 grit then 400.

[Image: sarahwedtablepine009_zps3f4e69e7.jpg]
Since the mortise #4 was about 3/8" wide, got out the Witherby

Needed a real hammer to power it by, as the mallet wasn't quite big enough....Got side #2  into the clamps for the night...

Then laid out for the short end panel's location.  Had to decide which end to put the drawer in.  Then did a little saw work to make the drawer front..

Two rails, top rail gets a dovetail, to fit into sockets in the top of the legs.   Bottom rail just a tenon will do.

which left laying out these

Let's see how these turn out......
Uhoh  ( I prefer through dovetails, rather than these half blind ones....
Raised )

Too many trips up the stairs to the bathroom tonight.....almost too far away  ( I do NOT recommend the BBQ  Bacon King @ Burger King...NASTY)  I think I'll call it a night...
Ok, after half a day of rust hunting, and doing a bit of trading planes,   finally got to the shop...

This is the other end of the drawer front.....maybe some day, I might get good at  these handcut thingys..
Rolleyes

I also got the Side #2 out of the clamps, and stashed it with the other side..

Somehow managed to get both sides of the drawer done, dovetail-wise, and sized for a couple backs

yes, two backs, one at 12" from the  front, and  another all the way back. 

Legs on Side #2 now have a bead down the outside corner just like side #1 has.

Need a full day IN the shop, just to get everything caught up...maybe Saturday?
Well, a rust hunt turned into a trade day.   Traded two planes to get two better planes...rehabbed one up yesterday......and did a bit of drawer work..

Milled some grooves for the drawer bottom

Milled a dado for the false back, a rebate for the real back, cut the backs to height, and went  to the Forest of Clamps

Why two backs for a drawer?

When there is a secret compartment in the back of the drawer. 

Teaser from one of the planes I rehabbed..

"Groovy, man, just groovy.."
I still really like the beading on the legs you did.

Just wondering how the some of the dovetails were right and some short?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The one board was cupped a bit.....glued it up, flattened out the curved front..

Got the rest of these mortises done today, the long ones..

the short ones

And the dovetails at the top of the legs to house a rail  for above the drawer..

Then did  a dry fit, to see how much of a bear this is going to be, to glue up..

And I could check to make sure the drawer would fit in it's opening.....it did.   When the runners that hold the drawer sides go in, I'll need to keep them a hair higher than the bottom rail.   Evens the gap around the drawer, also prevents wear and tear on the bottom rail. 

Oh, and I managed to rehab a Millers Falls No. 9 smooth plane today, as well.....just another day in the shop..
Cool

IF you hear a lot of cussing coming from me end of town, you'll know when  am glueing up the base for this table.
Rolleyes .stay tuned
Yep, LOTS of cussing and fussing going on, but...

We have a glue up....

Started to make corner blocks, so I can attach a top to this table......didn't want to go banging around to dovetail them in

i did get some layout lines for the blocks back there....then decided I had had more than enough fun for one day
Wink

BTW: the sides of the drawer had bowed a bit.....took a Stanley #5-1/2 Jumbo jack plane, and removed the bowed parts.    Drawer fits, again...have to keep an eye on that...
Uhoh
Hmmm..Monday, usually the shop is closed..but, I THOUGHT I'd at least get the clamps off...yeah right....
Corner blocks and a kicker  are installed, with slots drilled  to attach the top..

Added a thin scrap as a drawer guide to the inside of the aprons, and a runner with a stop block for the drawer to ride on, and stop where it should..

Planed the front of the drawer flat

And made a knob for it, from and old finial...that just happened to have a threaded insert  in it's base.  

While working on the drawer runners. noticed the non-beaded corners of the legs looked a bit too...plain..we have ways..

Out of photo room?   well, then..stay tuned, more to come
Winkgrin