Would you recommend the Leigh dovetail jig?
This is sort of in between the power tool and hand tool categories.
I'm thinking of buying a Leigh 12" super dovetail jig. I've read good things about them, but have seen a couple problems getting all the settings exactly correct (including this forum).
Do any of you folks have one? Like it?
I think being able to adjust pin and tail widths is a neat idea, that's why I'm looking at this one.
Lloyd Kerry
Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
I have the older DR-3 24" Leigh jig. Works very well and has an excellent manual.

Like all dovetail jigs, it has a learning curve. And the more you use it, the faster it is to set up. The adjustable spacing is very handy.

Have not utilized mine in a few years, so I would need to pay attention to the manual.  

If you think you will use the adjustable spacing, I would look into it.  Maybe even consider the 24" jig -- the larger jig will cut dovetails on a shorter project.

Suggest looking at on-line instructional videos. Ask the dealer if they have  a manual for you to look through.

The Keller dovetail jig is fast and variable spacing can be done. I have the Keller and it is very fast and simple. Not much to set-up. If you are not familiar with the Keller --http://www.kellerdovetail.com/index.html

On-line videos from Spokane W'dcraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEYM7HNcPw
I bought the Leigh RTJ 400 setup which works using a router table. If you have a quality router table setup, I would suggest you consider this. It does not allow changing the width of pins, so if this is a show stopper then nothing to see here...

linky

I have made several pieces using this setup and it is far superior to the older style where you move the router over the jig, in that style if you rock the router or change the pressure at all, the piece does not work, this eliminates that issue. This one is much easier to setup and start making dovetails, especially on half-blind.

Rich
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
Unless you do a LOT of dovetails, I wouldn't recommend the Leigh jig - or any other jig for that matter. The Leigh jig makes beautiful dovetails and is more versatile than probably any other dovetail jig. But it is complicated. As others have said, it has a pretty steep learning curve. I had two of them: a little 12" one that is fine for drawers and small projects, and later I bought a big 24" D4 thinking I'd use it on larger projects. I learned to use the little one but I used it so seldom I had to re-learn how to set it up every time I wanted to use it. I never took the big D4 out of the box. Instead, I learned to hand cut dovetails and I haven't looked back. When you learn to hand cut, you teach yourself muscle memory that you don't forget like you do complicated written instructions. My need for dovetails is sporadic and almost always on smaller projects - 3 or 4 drawers at a time or 4 corners of a box. With a few practice hand saw cuts, I'm good to go; no need to spend a couple of hours studying the Leigh manual and setting up the jig. I gave my D4 away and kept the little jig and the manual in the event I ever get around to redoing my kitchen, where a jig would be handy for that many repetitive joints. In the meantime, I'm happy hand cutting the dovetails I need. Hand cutting dovetails is not as difficult as most people think, and it is well worth the investment in a good saw, a few chisels and your time and practice to learn. Moreover, you'll find a lot of pride in your handwork. I recommend learning to hand cut dovetails rather than investing in an expensive jig, unless, of course, you're into production work where a jig is a lifesaver.
My $.02.

Hank
I have an older 24" Leigh jig. I bought it used about 10 years ago along with a bunch of other ww equipment. I used it a couple of times back then, and until recently hadn't used it since. I have a project that required a bunch of half blind dovetail drawers. It took me the better part of a day (and the manual) to set it up to cut good dovetails. Mind you, I was basically starting from scratch, but there were many many test cuts needed to get the right fit. There are a lot of variables involved.
Most frustrating was when I thought I had everything perfectly adjusted. I cut all the tails, flipped the jig and cut the first pins only to discover somehow my fit was now sloppy.  It took a bit of head scratching to figure out my bit had slipped a little in the collet.  All that said, I think it's a great jig, once you learn to use it. Certainly if I used mine more often, it would get much easier.
I've had a 24" Leigh for over a decade. I've only used it a few times, but that's because I got out of ww'ing for many years soon after buying it. I still have it, and those few times I used it, it worked great. Yes, there's a learning curve to it, but the manual (as said already) is superb.

I hope in the (near-ish) future I'll get to start using it again. But, being a tool junkie, I also now own the Incra router table set up that will cut DT's, too. I'll play with both and see which I like more...and likely keep both. Just in case.

If you aren't going to do a lot of DT's, I wouldn't buy it. I'd learn to do them by hand. I plan on learning soon, too.
Semper fi,
Brad

I'm with Mac on this. I bought a D4 when I redid my kitchen that had lots of drawers and pull outs. Once I had it set up, I blazed through the DTs. Used it few times since then and there's seems to be 20 minutes of head scratching for every 60 seconds of router time. Does a great job though....
My experience goes with what has been said. I have the D4, and everytime I pull it out it is a re-learning process. But if you're doing a good size stack of drawers, once you're set up you can knock them out fairly quickly.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
As said a long learning curve. I don't know about other places but they are frequently on CL for much less than new, but in almost unused condition. I used to buy them from the "Trading Post" not even sure if that is still printed? Anyhow I could buy them for cheap and hold them until I flipped them for a nice profit. I've found people aggravated after a purchase sometimes just want it gone, meeting them is a good thing if you are a buyer.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(03-29-2017, 10:51 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: The Keller dovetail jig is fast and variable spacing can be done.

Sort of.  It's only variable to the extent that you can skip a space on the jig, or move the workpiece in the jig.  Not the same as being able to move the guides themselves on a Leigh jig.  I think the Keller jig is the easiest to use, but Keller's advertising it as supporting variable spacing is a little misleading.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill