Would you recommend the Leigh dovetail jig?
I have the D4R Pro with which I am very happy. This far I have only used it for through DTs. Read the manual, which is clear and concise, cut a couple scrap corners and you will be stylin'.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have to reread the manual every time I use it but once I dial it in it makes better DT's than I do. The manual is excellent though.

For quick and easy joints such as shop boxes I use the Finger Joint attachment with my Leigh D4R - Almost no setup time and always perfect - with all that glue surface probably as strong as dovetails.
I agree with what has been said wrt relearning curve and the setup time. I use my D4 very rarely.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I have one and it is in the corner collecting dust. As others have stated, if you get it dialed-in, it's great, but you need to have scraps laying around the exact size (thickness) as what you are going to use. Now, if I were doing something that required a lot of dovetails, like redoing a kitchen or something, I would go through the trouble to dial it in. Truthfully, I've spent the majority of my efforts to get better at hand cut dovetails and I prefer that for smaller projects, like side tables and such. I suspect if you used it often, you could dial it in much quicker and it would be more user friendly. I would suspect that those, like me, that find it frustrating, got frustrated with it early and never put the time/effort to truly mastering it.
I go along that it is a great jig but the learning curve is steep. Bought it, used it for one project that had several drawers, back in the box and never used again.
I want to thank everyone for the advice. I've decided to go with the 12" model and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I think I have a dovetail marker and saw in the bottom drawer of my toolbox. I'm going to give handcut dovetails a try as well.

Smile
Smile
Smile
Lloyd Kerry
Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
Love mine.  I didn't think the learning curve was that steep.  Manual was pretty thorough.  I have long periods between uses so I don't remember all the steps but I taped a couple of reminders on the jig and it's enough
Not the question asked, but a $100 Porter Cable jig can gather dust for years, then whip out dovetails with zero head scratching.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I am thinking like Hank

Since the cost is from $500 to $850 depending on which one you get then maybe 2 good dovetail saws and Lots of wood for that price and with the learning curve you can teach yourself how to do it by hand.

Lee Valley has a nice dovetail saw for not to much money and if you get a few files you can sharpen your own to.

I do have an older Craftsman jig someone gave me and I have never used it and if you would like it and pay the shipping it is yours.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.