Porter cable belt sander drive shaft replacementt
(04-02-2017, 07:45 AM)Roly Wrote: I was thinking the front shaft is the bad one. (40A)   Roly

OPs Picture is pretty clearly of the drive roller (rear), not the idler (front). The shaft needs to be driven out from the sheave side, it is pressed in through the bearings from the outside in.
If the diagram and parts pics are correct, it shows an open roller bearing #12 (2). This type bearing isn't pressed onto the shaft but rides freely. The keyways on the shaft means the drum and pulley aren't pressed in either, but may fit snugly.
Thanks for the detective work guys! It is in fact the rear shaft, #40 in the exploded diagram above. And it looks like you guys are right about needing to get the opposite side apart to access it. Now to figure out how to remove belt pulls (#37B) to get at it.

I will keep tinkering and certainly post an update here as things go.

Really appreciate the help!
Finally got it tonight!  After applying some liquid wrench to the drive belt pully, I was able to hold the shaft with a pair of vise grips to keep it from spinning and unscrew the drive belt pully (#37B).   With that off, there are 5 bolts holding on a cover (#53A).  With the cover removed, there is a nut, also reverse threaded, (#111) holding the drive shaft.  As you can see  in the picture it was well packed with grease so it was easy to loosen.   Once the nut was off, the shaft dropped right out.  

The vise grips marred up the shaft, but since I'm replacing it thats not a problem.

I'm off to order a replacement part now.  Thanks again for all the suggestion and help.

Yea!!!!!!!
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My thoughts exactly!
This is super-helpful.  I just purchased a Porter Cable 352vs and was using it today when the drive shaft actually unscrewed (somehow) from the bolt holding it in place which is inside the greased housing picture you showed.  I could not get it lined up to screw it back in, so I was trying to open the housing like you did, but I cannot figure out how to get the gear off the outside of the housing, which then lets me get to the bolts.  Did you use channel pliers on the gear itself?  How are those things threaded so I which way to turn the gear/etc. to get it off.  Thanks!