When Stars Work Wood
I wish they made a north-sided saw. Mine all cut the bottom of the board.
According to the AWFS flyer that accompanied this month's FWW, John Ratzenberger of Cheers fame began life as a framing carpenter.
William H. Macy is an avid wood turner and was featured in the cover of Fine Woodworking...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
They are people, after all. I bet their pants have two leg holes, too. I'm not keen on thinking actors are anything special.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I don't think.they are anything special either, that's why I'm glad to see a few now and then that act like, ah, folks.... rather than divas and kings.
Steve Buscemi was a firefighter before he turned to.acting. During 9/11 he rode with his old station, with no fanfare, no publicity, doing the job, for something like a week. The story leaked well after the press died down.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I imagine the general impression us common fudge have of celebrities is that they are effete, pampered, pinky extended, nose in the air types that wouldn't ever lower themselves to do something as pedestrian as woodworking. It's somewhat noteworthy to discover that this isn't always the case.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-10-2017, 01:03 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I imagine the general impression us common fudge have of celebrities is that they are effete, pampered, pinky extended, nose in the air types that wouldn't ever lower themselves to do something as pedestrian as woodworking.  It's somewhat noteworthy to discover that this isn't always the case.

Our area has several TV and movin' pitcher stars who live here either full-time or occasionally.  Our son's part of a cloud of tradesworkers who refer people to each other - he does electrical work, plumbing, and general carpentry & finish work.  The painter who's part of that cloud has worked for a guy who's quite well known, and who, every time there are people working on his place, checks in with them frequently to make sure they have water, ask if they need anything, etc.  Glenn, the painter, even called him when his truck broke down, and the actor guy came out and rescued him.

And Peter Coyote introduced himself to our son in the hardware store parking lot to tell him how much he admired his truck (see below), and enthuse about the Dodge Power Wagon that he (Peter) is in the process of restoring - himself.  That was particularly nice to hear, because so many middle-aged people hire all the restoration out and then show off "their" restoration - which always frosts me.  You don't get to claim credit for work if the grease isn't under your fingernails, in my opinion.

[Image: Studiefront_zps2c74f2df.jpg]
Dennis Elliot, the original drummer for Foreigner, does wood turning and sculpture. William Macy the actor is also a woodworker and turner.
A dull tool is a sign of a dull mind.
And don't forget Nick Offerman.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(03-31-2017, 03:03 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Andy Rooney, Jimmy Carter...Harrison Ford started out as a carpenter, but I'm not sure if he continued doing woodworking after his movie career took off.

There's a scene in "Witness," when Ford is helping to raise a barn in Amish country, where he demonstrates that he knows his way around a hammer.

The barnraising in "Witness" is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. There is also a good scene where Ford pauses while planing. I wish someone could post  relevant stills from "Witness" as well as some shots of Mark Harmon's Jethro building boats in his basement

Andy Rooney was on the cover of American Woodworker once. I may have that around here somewhere.

To the OP:
great picture and great subject!

FWIW Cherie Currie, a teenage rock star in the band "The Runaways" (late 1970s) and occasional actress, is now "The Chainsaw Chick". Google it!
I don't want to brag, but some of my wood is on its 2nd or 3rd project!