Band Saw Dust Collection
I have an old Rockwell 28-200 band saw that doesn't have any dust collection ports. Has anyone tried the method described in the Highland Woodworking page, ? http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bands...rks-2.aspx . Almost all of my woodworking has been with handtools, so I've not had to deal with dust very much.
I thought of that in the past, but when I extensively use my Delta 14" BS, i just take a 4" hose and mount it under the table with some hooks made out of #12 copper wire, poking a holes in the hose to insert the wire, and wrapping the wire around whatever is available under the table.  Looks funny, but is very effective in collecting dust at the source.  Simple and quick.  Bottom of the saw like they suggest in the link might miss a lot of the dust.  I like to keep things simple.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hey, don't run its just olbuck ! ! Yeaw been a MEMBER LESS THAN AN HOUR. Been awhile but believe I got a 1 gallon DUST COLLECTOR from Lows. Took everything not needed under the TOP WHERE YA DO THE SaWING.  Figuered WHERE I COULD LOCATE THAT 1 GALLON monster at. Caulked up every opening, crack, etc.,ONLY PLACE IT COULD SUCK FROM WAS THE BLADE OPENING. Put a neighborhood SWITCH receptical to plug ban saw & dust collector into. TURN ON ONE=TURNS ON BOTH . Plane as I can splain, made it thru 5th grade. THIS WORKS FER ME. GOOD LUCK etc.
I did that to mine, except I put the port in the upper right quadrant of the door rather than the bottom. I also fashioned a piece of plexiglass (or something, maybe polycarbonate) to cover the spot where the OEM POS was installed. This saw was a Delta 28-245, a little later model that had a factory port that did nothing (you can make it out a little in the pic). Anyway, I though the whole thing worked quite well. It didn't get 100%, but was at least 75%, maybe more. the only thing I didn't like was the plexi cover was one more thing to remove when I changed blades, it was held on with 2 sheet metal screws.

[Image: BandsawDCMedium.jpg]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just didn't want to cut holes in my saw, so I did this:

[Image: -I5t8pCPqCwpDamcej11R0TJ4FSo2J67WQP3QWKY...71-h628-no]

[Image: jjNAwMbvCOXOUGhZvWM4GDtQvrzKqSS2sbJur3un...38-h628-no]

2" PVC elbow cut to fit around the blade, and held in place by a little metal L bracket screwed to the elbow.  The other end has a hole that fits over the wheel cover bolt before the knob is threaded on.  I'd say it gets 75% of the sawdust.  You can see what's on the floor after I sawed about 25 ft^2 of veneer.  

John
I did both the normal DC spot,and the one at the bottom of the lower wheel on a BS I had in the past, and I think the lower spot is much more efficient. I think keeping them both is ok. If you were actually doing air movement calculations I think what Fred offered would get you the best results. I know for sure that the dust falls to the lower wheel if otherwise left alone. I currently have a HF 14" clone and a Rikon 18" Until I am using them more I was holding off to see if anyone had any new, or different ideas before starting to cut out dust port holes.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Rob Cosman has an interesting solution on YouTube too. No link, you can find it.
Ag
Thanks to everyone for the responses. That Rob Cosman video was really good. I think I'm going to try the pvc pipe route before cutting any holes in the door.
I had an after-market collection device with a 4" nozzle that sat right under the table, however it never work all that well. So about 2 years ago I rigged this up from a 4" plastic wye. I cut a slot on one side of the wye, put a reducer on the bottom, the branch off receives a 4" flex dust collection hose. From the bottom reducer I ran 2-1/2 hose to flanged nozzle whichis attached to a cut out in the bottom cover.
Works better then anything else I've try thus far. Makes blade changes a bit more of a pain but helps keep the dust down.
I made a first attempt using an elbow. It works OK, but I think I can improve.

[Image: IMG_20170402_210747_zpshsqzmcli.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20170402_210711_zpsctt5bvi0.jpg]