Coring tool recommendations
Looking for recommendations on a coring tool. I have a Powermatic 3520 and I would like to get into coring. Picking up several silver maple chunks next week and would prefer to have more more blanks to work with rather than shavings on the floor
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Easiest with the shortest learning curve seems to be the one way. While everyone says the McKnaughton has more flexibility

I'm happy with my one way
I did have the complete McNaughton tools and a turner here traded me for the Bowl saver and it is a really nice system.  Not as versatile as the McNaughton but works very nice for me and the vets.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant...egory_Code=
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I prefer the McNaughton. It does have a learning curve, and best bet is to have a hands on session. Once you get the hang of it, it is a lot faster than any of the other systems. Oneway is pretty rock solid all the way out to the biggest blade they have, and fairly expensive. The Woodcut now has a 3 blade set and is fairly simple to set up. I turn and core a lot...

robo hippy
Robo

Will that new blade work on the old ones?  If so were can I get one.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

When the Woodcut first came out with their big blade, it was sold separately. Last year in Atlanta, they had a 3 blade set that all went on one platform. Not sure if the single big one is available. Only place I saw it for sale was through Packard. 

robo hippy
Thanks for the recommendations!  Craft Supplies just came out with a $30 coupon so may have to drop some $$$
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Thanks for the info

So those of you with the McNaughton.....

Say I start with an 18" blank, I would start out with the large set of cutters.  Then as you progress down to smaller diameters on the same blank, you need the standard set of cutters as well?

I have three blanks right now that are in the 18" - 20" diameter range that I would like to get started with.  These were all free, so good practice to start with.
Don't start out on an 18 inch diameter blank. Start on some thing 12 inch diameter, and maybe 4 or 5 inches deep, and just try to take 1 core. Preferably a wood that is kind of medium hardness like cherry, so not too hard, and not too soft. I have a video up on You Tube about using the McNaughton, and so does Dale Bonertz. I don't think Mike Mahoney's is up there. That is a start. Mine explains a lot more than I can write about here. Some turners will take the largest core first. Some take the smallest. Matter of style/technique.

robo hippy