Coring tool recommendations
(04-05-2017, 10:03 AM)robo hippy Wrote: Don't start out on an 18 inch diameter blank. Start on some thing 12 inch diameter, and maybe 4 or 5 inches deep, and just try to take 1 core. Preferably a wood that is kind of medium hardness like cherry, so not too hard, and not too soft. I have a video up on You Tube about using the McNaughton, and so does Dale Bonertz. I don't think Mike Mahoney's is up there. That is a start. Mine explains a lot more than I can write about here. Some turners will take the largest core first. Some take the smallest. Matter of style/technique.

robo hippy

I did come across yours and Dale's videos.  Soon as I get some time to watch I'll check it out.

Thanks
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
The Mike Mahoney video is worth checking out too.
(04-05-2017, 02:44 PM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: The Mike Mahoney video is worth checking out too.

Just placed my order with Craft Supplies.  With the $30 off coupon I got Mike's video too.

Can't wait to try these new tools out!
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
When I bout my McNaughton system, Lee Valley Tool had the best price.

I would like to get an extra handle. Does anyone know of a source to buy just the McNaughton handle?
I don't think they would be difficult to make. Section of pipe with the correct inside diameter, may need a metal plug that is drilled out, and some set screws. Mike Mahoney cuts his in half.... different sized hole on each end. Probably any handle with set screws and proper sized opening. D Way would probably work...

robo hippy
You don't need a fancy coring system, just a bigger blank to start from:  https://youtu.be/1PMEJ7rirso?t=4m50s
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
(04-10-2017, 08:51 PM)imapseudonym Wrote: You don't need a fancy coring system, just a bigger blank to start from:  https://youtu.be/1PMEJ7rirso?t=4m50s

Eek
Eek
Eek
Eek