Which miter saw stand
OK. I hang out in the Handtools section and endlessly discuss fluffy plane shavings. BUT I recently reorganized my shop and the miter saw lost in the game of chairs. It is now sitting on the floor. I have an unused workmate. Does anyone use that? Are outfeed wings really necessary? Or should I spring for a stand? Or make a stand? Does it need wheels? What is the best platform for a miter saw? Opinions from the electric group?
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I use the ridgid one just because I like to tuck away my saw when I'm not using it. I have it 2 years with no complaints.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Used a workmate for years for my miter saw, had it bolted to a piece of 3/4 plywood used 2 c-clamps to hold it to the workmate.

Bought a $99 Home Depot "msuv" and never looked back.

Ed
Jim

Handi really made a nice one and it was featured in a magazine.  I am quite sure if you send him a PM he would have a picture for you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Your workmate could be fine to sit the miter saw on. Seeing that, as you say it lost it's chair, it must not be used that often, so buying a $100 accessory doesn't make that much sense. Do you currently have a "work support stand" or even 2? If not you can see some in the page I linked that you can make, A few of the HF line are very inexpensive if you want to buy. Most like the Workmate are foldable/collapsible so they can get out of the way. or even hang on wall space. Only problem is you still need to carve out a footprint for the saw itself, or you will constantly be moving it. BTW, the work support stands can also be helpful supporting work off of your bench, or other tools/work areas.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I seldom use my miter saw in my shop, I don't enjoy the cleanup, a handsaw is actually faster for a couple cuts when you factor that in. My mitersaw is mounted to the original version of the Rigid MSUV. It's great to wheel outside or off to a job site. The large wheels are an advantage on rough ground or stairs. The supports on the stand are useful and work well. No added space required when stowed either. Consider what and where you'll use the saw and you'll answer your own question.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

In 2011, with several decent sized projects, I bought a Dewalt slider and the Ridgid folding miter saw. The Ridgid is just about as good as any others, except for play in the extensions, when pulled out. In fairness, I have no idea if any of my employees may have put too much weight on the extensions, such as a 2" X 12", etc. Everything else about the saw is first rate, including large wheels, making it easy to move around.

One of these days, I will take the extension portions apart, to see what can be done to remove the sagging and twist, but as I said, I believe someone grossly overloaded the weight load. Did I mention the unit is priced economically? Well it is, and if you use it for what it is intended for, it's a bargain I would easily buy again.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have been using the Bosch Gravity Rise and highly recommend it. It is easy to raise and lower, stores well, and the built in outfeeds are very handy. While I built a 40x25 shop, I didn't want to dedicate the wall space to a miter saw and outfeeds - just my personal preference - so this was the perfect solution. It's also easy to load into the back of my truck if I need to. Personal preference only, but I wouldn't buy anything else having used this one.
I have a Rousseau 2850 miter saw stand which I've modified by adding a plywood back, sides and a drawer. FYI the footprint is 33" x 19" with the wings folded. My old cutoff saw is stored on the bottom shelf and I move it to the top when I need to use it. The bottom shelf could also be used to store a benchtop planer which could be switched out with the miter saw when needed.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/shop-...model-2850

https://woodcraft-production-weblinc.net...1480837089
I've got the dewalt aluminum foldup stand. Lightweight, easy to move. Has a suitcase handle on it when carrying it. The saw brackets that come with it fit all the other brand saws, not just the dewalt.

They now make a shorter  (length) version of the same stand.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020