Which miter saw stand
Thanks for the replies--you electric guys rock! It was poetic license to say that the saw lost its game of musical chairs. What actually happened is that I replaced my door table with a woodworking bench. If you scrutinize the clutter, you will find Waldo (the miter saw) in the middle of things.

[Image: DSCN2702.jpg]

The new ww bench is much happier in the new spot but Mr Miter lost his place. I really like the stand recommendations because the wings sound nice. I use the saw frequently so it will probably go on the workmate as I shop for a suitable stand.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. Also, feel free to visit the Handtools section if you haven't been there lately.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(03-31-2017, 08:42 PM)EdL Wrote: Used a workmate for years for my miter saw, had it bolted to a piece of 3/4 plywood used 2 c-clamps to hold it to the workmate.

Bought a $99 Home Depot "msuv" and never looked back.

Ed

I did the same. The original Ridgid MSUV is pretty stout and stable but it's the only one I've used. I have no idea about current offerings.
Jim, I screwed my chop saw to a piece of 3/4 plywood, and underneath screwed on a piece of scrap 2x4, and use a workmate to clamp onto the 2x4.  Simple, solid and effective for me for the last 20 years.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've got the Dewalt as well. It works ok for repeat cuts but not quite as precise as my old shop built one I had on cabinets. I'd like to build another but it's not high priority right now. I'd say build it if you can. A solid core particle board interior door ripped in half works well for extensions. Dado a groove and add your fence. A block of wood and a clamp for repeat cuts or T track added for a sliding stop.

UPDATE

I needed to put the saw back in service, so I grabbed the workmate and assigned it a new task. Here is the miter saw in its new temporary home.

[Image: DSCN2725.jpg]

I need a stand on wheels. Checking them out now.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Spotted the "new" Portamate portacube miter saw station in my new ACME tools catalog. Pricey, but it looks like one could build their own for a reasonable cost, just lose the flip over feature for the saw.

Ed
Original Ridgid MSUV owner.  It works great.  I used to have a 12 Ridgid Miter saw on it, but replaced that saw with the big Hitachi you see here.  The MSUV handles the bigger saw with no problem.  As stated in other posts, it folds quickly and easily to a small package, and moves around easily.  I like the extensions.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-01-2017, 03:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've got the dewalt aluminum foldup stand. Lightweight, easy to move. Has a suitcase handle on it when carrying it. The saw brackets that come with it fit all the other brand saws, not just the dewalt.

They now make a shorter  (length) version of the same stand.

I have one of those dewalt foldup stands that I used at my niece's house when doing her stair and landing rails. After that project, I put it back in its box and it has not come out since. I do not consider it lightweight or especially easy to store a saw with the cleats mounted.

Since that project, my 10" MS lived on one of the 2-wheeled folding stands with pull out supports. That saw is now in FL and the stand is waiting for me to get motivated to mount the 12: dewalt MS on it. So far, it has not happened. The 12" dewalt MS has been living on my workmate for years now. I have only been using it for relatively small stuff, though (like turning hardwood flooring into pen blanks). When I need to use it for bigger stuff (or when the workmate loses its floor space to a bookshelf), it will go on the folding stand. I suspect that it is a Bosch, but I am not certain at the moment.

If the OP is going to use the MS for larger stock, then it might be worth building a flippy cart - one where the top is on a pivot with the MS on one side of the top and some other tool on the other side. Fold up sides can be added to support longer stock and/or provide stops and clamping surfaces. If you don't have another tool to mount to the other side, then you could use it for a finishing table or some other flattish support surface.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Update:

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I looked long and hard at the miter saw stands but none of them really heated me up. The Shopmate worked fine in the interim. Then I found what I really liked at HD.

[Image: DSCN3297.jpg]

I just slapped the saw on the Husky stand and went to town. Now the saw is mobile AND I have more storage drawers. Win-win. I guess I could add some support wings for larger stock but it cuts a long 2x4 just fine.

[Image: DSCN3300.jpg]

As an added bonus, I have my Workmate back for those other temporary jobs.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com

Cool
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020