Paul Sellers tuning f0rk for hand planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_qlaP1y_Y

Another great tip from Paul.  He is the man!!!!
About time someone came up with that device!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Good sense of humor and I like it
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A pitch perfect presentation.  Definitely an "A," although we trombone players would argue that it's a "Bb."
I’ve had one of those in my shop ever since I retired.  Keeps my planes always sharp and ready to go.   

This may be a little OT, but not entirely.  It relates to consummate machining skill and attention to minute detail, like clocking screws.  And a joke on me.  The story is this:

Many years ago the group of physical scientists I led came to be supported by a top-notch tool-and-die maker who had spent his long career making superb production tooling for our corporation.  He was a little uncomfortable with the run-and-gun approach to tooling of a bunch of scientists.  He thought, probably correctly, that his talents were being wasted, but we all adapt to change, right?

As his last project before his retirement, I needed something to mount some big, heavy panes of leaded glass for radiation shields.  I asked him to design and make some brackets to do this.  Soon I had a set of nice forked aluminum brackets for the glass plus one extra, just in case.   

I happened to tap on one of the brackets, and it rang.  Then I tapped all seven.  They all rang the same pitch and it sounded familiar.

Next day I brought in an 440 Hz tuning fudge , and sure enough, all the brackets rang within 1 Hz of Concert “A.”  I was’t surprised all the brackets rang the same pitch given this man’s over-the-top skills as machinist, but tuning them all to A440 was his parting little joke on me.  

That was more than 30 years ago, and it still tickles me.  I appreciated his subtle joke, and from his perspective, the joke was on me whether I got it or not.  But he liked that I got it.

When I retired, I brought the extra bracket home.  I’ve used it to tune my hand planes ever since.  Here it is, helping tune my scrub plane for scrubbing some large-radius cove.   The green end of the hammer has just the right hardness for the best sound. 
Wink
[Image: IMG_2841_zpsjuc9oogo.jpg]