100 year old milling marks
Nice case. Your grandfather solved his storage problem. The original Stanley boxes for #55s (and #45s) were good for shipping only. They are so small that the plane needs to be disassembled before storing. That is a royal pain so most users discarded the boxes. Some of the clever ones made their own boxes. Every user made box I have seen allows storage of an assembled plane. It surely makes the plane easier and quicker to use.

Thanks for the pictures.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I've got my Grandfather's 45 in the original Stanley box.  I don't use it much but it is a great keepsake to have.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I've never used the 55. Neither had my dad and he acquired it when Gramps died around 1967. I like the case as much as I like the plane.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-02-2017, 06:18 PM)gMike Wrote: I've got my Grandfather's 45 in the original Stanley box.  I don't use it much but it is a great keepsake to have.

You are lucky Mike.  All on my side are all farmers and no wood workers so nothing to pass down.  One day I will get a 45 to use. I would also like to say it would be great to have your Grandfathers picture and your dads if he used it and yours if you used it for when someone else gets it they see everyone who did.
I love thinking who might have used my tools and what they did with them.

Neil I would also do that with yours if you could
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I can spend considerable time staring and imagining the workers, factory, and machinery all running to make those marks and picture the atmosphere of noises and sounds and smells at the time.
I wish I had a time machine.