Domino "knock off"
(04-04-2017, 01:17 PM)joe1086 Wrote: I  just finished building John's horizontal mortiser and it cured me of the cursed Domino Fever.

Yes

I had a Multi-Router for years, arguably the best built most versatile of the benchtop loose tenon joinery machines, and as soon as I bought a Domino it began gathering dust.  The Domino simply saves a ton of time, is just as accurate and is much easier to use on large pieces.  The DIY and cottage industry horizontal routers have a significant price advantage but even the fully optioned $3,000 Multi-router isn't the match for a Domino in most situations.  The Multi-router does do a lot of other things but there are almost always quicker easier ways to accomplish the same thing.
(04-04-2017, 02:44 PM)Huxleywood Wrote: I had a Multi-Router for years, arguably the best built most versatile of the benchtop loose tenon joinery machines, and as soon as I bought a Domino it began gathering dust.  The Domino simply saves a ton of time, is just as accurate and is much easier to use on large pieces.  The DIY and cottage industry horizontal routers have a significant price advantage but even the fully optioned $3,000 Multi-router isn't the match for a Domino in most situations.  The Multi-router does do a lot of other things but there are almost always quicker easier ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'm sure that's all true. The OP was looking for less costly alternatives to the Domino and the horizontal mortiser could be just one option.
Yes, the Domino is a great tool.  But it costs North of $1000 and does just one thing, albeit it very well.  If I were a pro I'd have one yesterday.  But as a hobbiest, I just can't justify buying one even though I could afford to.  And in all but one situation, that being putting mortises far from the edge, my horizontal router mortiser does anything a Domino can do, and a whole bunch more.  Somethings it does much more easily, like putting mortises in the end of narrow face frame rails. 

You can build one for very little money.   It's a hard combination to beat for anyone who can't justify a Domino, or who wants a versatile multi purpose machine. 

John
When/if Festool loses it's patents, well the HF parking lot will be a little crowded that day
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Till then Johns table fills in very nicely
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have one of the domino's with the metal pins.  Its a great tool.  To the comment of it being not quite accurate,  I found that if I went too fast,  I got results that where not quite right.   The trick was to start slow and precise, and then speed up ..   Also if the bit is dull the machine may want to skate, but overall I agree, user error is possible with a domino ..   Personal experience .. 

I also learned that I really like making old fashioned mortise and tenon joints with a chisel and saw..    ( and a mortiser )   I don't use the Domino for that type of thing anymore unless its a quicky thing.
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

Thumbs Up 
(04-04-2017, 05:59 PM)Steve N Wrote: When/if Festool loses it's patents, well the HF parking lot will be a little crowded that day
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh

I remember long ago when the FEIN MultiMaster (Over $200) was the only game in town. Now my $20 HF version works fine for me.

So yes. I for one, am looking forward to that day.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Sroxberg: please check your private message. Thanks.
(04-03-2017, 12:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You can build my first generation horizontal router mortiser  for around $75, less if you have some stuff lying around.  There are a couple of things a Domino can do that it can't, but there are many things it can do that a Domino cannot.  It's fast, safe, and very accurate.  Several folks here and elsewhere have one. 

John

I love mine
Big Grin Underutilized as of yet, but it has done what I have asked of it every time. Most fun tool in my shop.

About the Domino. A while ago it was as low as I have seen it for a while, and I was tempted, but around then I got one of John's FMT's for much less $$$$$$$$. I think I still want a Domino-ette. I have had a Fein MultiMaster way before all this current crop of would be's has been around. Seeing those HF ones that a lot of people rave about, that is gonna be my first Dominatrix, or whatever they call it
Big Grin

Sheesh if I would have just looked up........DOH!!!!

GW
I may well be wrong, but I do believe that you buy John's latest horizontal mortiser for less money than a nicely outfitted Domino.  He's too nice a guy to promote his product here.  Only costs a PM to get all the info.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Oh Yeah Curt, way less, and he also doesn't stress enough that his MFT can do a lot of work a Domino never would begin to get done, and his MFT does allow the user to rout out perfect little pockets just like a Domino so you can insert either Ho Made or store bought "tenons", you just bring the work to the tool, rather than the tool to the work.

GW