Stanley 71 1/2 rehab
When I was cleaning up this weekend, I spied this little orphan in the boneyard and put it on the cleanup table.

[Image: DSCN2732.jpg]

This is a Stanley 71 1/2 router plane, type 4, dating from 1911-1924. It is in pretty good shape and I think it can get by with a good brushing.

I found a hidden treasure--measuring marks stamped into the side of the blade.

[Image: DSCN2737.jpg]

And speaking of the blade, the previous owner took good care of it. I had it sharp in just a minute.

[Image: DSCN2738.jpg]

Working again!

[Image: DSCN2741.jpg]

I am happy with the cleaning. The brushes remove rust but leave most of the patina. So the plane ends up looking just gently used.

[Image: DSCN2743.jpg]

I especially like the "Stanley" script.

[Image: DSCN2744.jpg]

Made during the era when tool purchasers appreciated beauty.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
That depth measurement is pretty cool.  I hadn't realized Stanley went to that cutter design - with the "neck" atop a square cutter post - that early.  I have a couple of slightly older router planes that have cutters that look like hex/Allen wrenches with a slot milled in the long leg.

And, yeah, all those early models are darned pretty.
I love it and thank you for posting this and hope others do to.

I love the old script and really wish it would come back.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's a good looking router plane Jim & I must agree, that Stanley script is VERY cool.
Enjoy
David