Rough Arkansas stones
Several of my Arkansas stones have become pitted. Seem to be flat, but have a rough rather than smooth finish. Pits are not deep, but enough to be noticeable. Cleaning them doesn't improve them. Is there a way to restore them, or just keep using them as is? Also have one or two old ceramic stones that are getting "gritty" like that.

I've got an extensive collection of vintage stones, mostly natural oilstones, and for the ones I decide to use, I first clean as much oil out as possible (oven cleaner or if you're daring, SWMBO's dishwasher), and then flatten on a ceramic belt (different grits available, on the cheap, from "Supergrits", Gettysburg, PA).

If you get a coarse and a finer grit old belt, cut into multiple pieces, and have at it. The pieces will need the stone powder cleaned off, but don't load up, so pretty easy and the process goes quickly. After renewed, the stone will fill pretty "gritty" until after used a while, but this is normal while it breaks back in. I have a granite plate I attach the belting to, but a tablesaw top should also be flat enough.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A coarse diamond plate also works well for putting a new surface on Arkansas stones, if you have one. If you don't have one, Tony's suggestion sounds like a better, less expensive option.
Still burnishing a good edge, are they?  Leave 'em be.

Have you solvent or reaction-soaked them?  Lots of time stones develop the dirt/dust equivalent of sweater "pills."
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-05-2017, 08:59 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Several of my Arkansas stones have become pitted. Seem to be flat, but have a rough rather than smooth finish. Pits are not deep, but enough to be noticeable. Cleaning them doesn't improve them. Is there a way to restore them, or just keep using them as is? Also have one or two old ceramic stones that are getting "gritty" like that.

I think pitting indicates a lower quality stone. You see this sometimes is the coarser stones, that the texture is a little uneven and so the stone wears a little more in some very soft areas.

The only problem with the pitting is when you are sharpening a very small tool and it gets hung up on one of the pits. For chisels and plane irons and most carving tools there is no problem using these stones.
Thanks to everyone. Some ideas to try. Some concerns to forget about. On to more sharpening.

(04-06-2017, 04:14 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I've got an extensive collection of vintage stones, mostly natural oilstones, and for the ones I decide to use, I first clean as much oil out as possible (oven cleaner or if you're daring, SWMBO's dishwasher), and then flatten on a ceramic belt (different grits available, on the cheap, from "Supergrits", Gettysburg, PA).  

If you get a coarse and a finer grit old belt, cut into multiple pieces, and have at it.  The pieces will need the stone powder cleaned off, but don't load up, so pretty easy and the process goes quickly.  After renewed, the stone will fill pretty "gritty" until after used a while, but this is normal while it breaks back in.  I have a granite plate I attach the belting to, but a tablesaw top should also be flat enough.
I use a stationary belt grinder with a foot switch on mine..place the stone on the platen, use the foot switch to turn it on while holding it with both hands.
* Forgot to add..I use a silicon carbide belt on the machine...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset