antiquing brass?
Final report. I did the hinges and knobs with ammonia fumes. They turned out well. I did find setting the container in the sunshine helped speed it up.

The mist important thing is the client was thrilled. So all is good. I have not uploaded pictures yet

Many manufacturers will coat the brass with lacquer to keep it bright and shiny.  You will have to remove that lacquer (which is usually acrylic) before any aging can occur.

I had a customer once that wanted solid brass d-rings.  We made them for him but they were not shiny enough.  He asked us to have them polished and lacquer coated.

It was cheaper to have the solid brass d-rings brass plated and lacquered than it would have been to polish and lacquer.

So he ended up with solid brass d-rings, brass plated.  Weird.  (but shiny).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Cooler- I soaked the pieces in lacquer thinner and then sipped them off very well. I could see that I did not get all of the clear coat off. Acetone finger polish remover worked very well

For anyone in Los Angeles I am selling my inventory of metal prep and acids for taking brass and making in this case us10b bronze, cheap but you have to pick it up, check LA Craigslist,
All prep and acids were purchased from Surfin Chemicals (they have a website) in Los Angeles you can buy a sample kit from them, the real deal for metal etching.