Technatool 1624 Type II on sale
Anyone here with any experience with this lathe? At 1 1/2 HP and slow speed of 250 (iirc) would it be truly capable of turning some larger bowls and platters?

I'm in the market, and the price is under $900 at Woodcraft. No luck on my local CL for a good lathe after looking for a year or so.

Thanks!
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I'm using its Kiwi Granddaddy, with a 1HP and I have turned 16 (actually 400mm) over the bed and 9" deep soaking wet, no problems.  I was on the second  ~360 and third ~680 pulleys though.  Never have had it above 680, since there's no advantage to it for me. This has reverse, so with the proper equipment you could swing larger pieces quarter or halfway left, turning either conventionally, or reverse and turn on the far side.  Banjo is long enough.

It's a good lathe from China, sold by folks who are pretty good about keeping a customer happy. 

I'd jump on it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I've had my 1624 for about seven years with no problems.  I have turned a few items at capacity (16") but even for a platter it is almost too large.  Most upper kitchen cabinets are only 12" deep so a large bowl of 15" requires special storage.
The new II sports a different paint (black) and a slap type quick knock off switch.  Other than that the two are identical according to Nova.  Very good price right now, I paid about $1250 when I purchased mine.
The motor is capable.  You may want to invest in the cast iron legs or add some weight to the base if you are turning large, unbalanced stuff.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks gents, I may have to grab one. I'm getting impatient for a big vintage to show up... I also have a shot a another lathe, but the slowest speed is 600 and I want to do large bowls and platters. 600 doesn't seem slow enough.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com