Visiting Canada and Lee-Valley; better to buy at the store?
I'm heading to the suburbs of Toronto for work next week, coming from the US.

I do plan to visit the Lee Valley store while I am there, it's about 20 minutes from where I am staying.

I have a few items on my want list from Lee-Valley Tools.  Is it a better deal to order online from US and get free shipping?  Or can I save a few dollars by buying locally at the store while in Canada?  I'll probably get hit with a small exchange fee on my credit card.  

Assuming of course I don't get killed with luggage fees...
Well visiting their store is always a treat although the one in Burlington is smaller than the main store in Ottawa.  I don't think it matters much financially whether you pick the stuff up or order it.  There is the immediate gratification aspect of buying in the store that must not be overlooked.  I am about an hour away with a daughter living next door in Hamilton so I am up there often anyway and usually just go over to the store and pick up what I need.  I have ordered things and found the delivery to be very quick.  If you have room in your luggage, pick it up.  If not, you can't go wrong ordering things over the internet.  Ken
you should also consider the taxes that are added at the store. Not sure about Toronto but in BC it's 12% on top of purchase price. That can make a big difference.
Buying Canadian will be more in taxes, but if you pay with your American credit card, you might get a decent discount for the exchange rate. You could always check out the Canadian LV website to see what they sell for in $CDN, then find out what the local taxes are at the Canadian store to make a comparison to the US prices. If you are flying, you will need to check your plane in your baggage, due to the blade. If you are honest with US Customs, there might be an import tax on your Canadian-purchased tool.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
When I responded earlier I didn't address the tax issue maybe because I have to pay the NY state sales tax for internet Lee Valley sales since they ship from a NY warehouse and the 5% difference between NY taxes and Ontario taxes is fairly negligible.  Depending on where you live you might not have to pay any sales tax on your orders and if you are ordering a lot of stuff that could mount up to quite a bit of savings to have it shipped.  Of course if you have to pay shipping that has to be considered as well.  Concerning duty at the border, I live a 100 yards from the Niagara River separating the US and Canada and I bring and take things across the border all the time.  I have occasionally been charged taxes going in to Canada but never coming back to the US where the border patrol has a much more relaxed view of importing from Canada than Canadian border guards for goods being brought into Canada from the US.  US border patrol are all about illegal aliens and Canadians are all about sniffing out things they can tax you on as you come across.  Ken
Be advised they don't allow you out the door unless you spend $100. chuckle
A man of foolish pursuits
Stores all have a "clearance" section where sometimes good deals can be picked up - stones with a slight chip out of an edge, tools that have been used and returned under their generous return policy, finish in slightly dented cans, etc.
Just understand the implications.

Send a gambler to Vegas...
Send an alcoholic to a liquor store with carts...
Send a woman to a shoe sale...
Send a woodworker to a Lee Valley store...
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I spend two months a year in Canada and my credit card charges the exchange rate at the time of sale which given the current rate is great from American buyers. However, the tax is high on purchases made in Canada. The savings might be better depending on LV free shipping and sales.

Also remember the amount of purchases made in Canada when returning to the States when you declare the value of purchases made for determining the duty imposed.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

You might miss out on free shipping.