Need VFD Wiring Help
Thanks very much for the education.  The motor plate said 3420 rpm; not 3450 unless I didn't read it correctly.  In any case, that means 2 poles, same as what the motor repair guy said. 

Say, does anyone make a low cost 220V disconnect without fuses or breakers?  30 amps would be more than enough.  

John
Unfused, motor-rated, inexpensive 2-pole disconnect. One of many. It, or one like it (probably 15 or 20A, in my case) is what I use for my 1 hp lathe VFD disconnect. It fits in the original on/off switch box on my almost-antique lathe.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-30-Amp-...lsrc=aw.ds

Actual motor speed at full load can be anything, but normally it's a little over 4% slower than synchronous (called 'slip').  Larger ones tend to have a little less slip (and a little, up to a lot, more efficiency), except for certain special designs with very high slip.  Yours is a little higher at 5%.  At no load, it's only a couple of rpm less than synchronous, but motors aren't nameplated for no-load conditions.  But as you said, it's still a 2-pole motor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I bought a lever disconnect in a box for this, it wasn't more than $20.  However, it was kinda clunky to mount so I decided to get a rotary switch from Automation Direct.  

Spent some time today wiring mine up.  The old Baldor VFD let out the magic smoke.  Haven't gotten the HY wired into my lathe yet, maybe later today.
got mine powered up, but I didn't spend any time on the settings, so it's not turning the motor yet. The vendor sent me a link to a video that shows a guy running the vfd without a motor, so that was interesting.  In fact, they have a contactor on the motor output. I think the problems really show up when you flip the switch with the motor running, but I was a little surprised to see their setup.

The settings are a mess, most of the high priced vfds will run a 4 pole motor right out of the box without messing with the settings.  This thing is set up very strangely as-shipped.  I think a lot of their customers are running 400hz router motors, so maybe that's what is setup out of the box.

I was really surprised by how long it takes to start up from off, and how long it takes to turn off after power is removed. I wonder if I should worry about some sort of inrush protection.  It didn't flip the breaker though. I have it wired in a way that I can use a clip-on ammeter, I should probably look at the current draw
Sounds like your ramp-up and ramp-down setting are too long. On mine, they can be set.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
You should go through ALL your settings on a VFD before blindly powering these things up. In fact I would do that to verify the "default" settings are what you think they are even if you do not use them. Its a few up and down and enter pushes. The cheap? Hunyang Hy Ebay VFDs are targeted to CNC  uses running Chinese spindles for sure.

Eric, When you said time to start up and stop - are you referring to the actual VFD (since you said your motor was not turning yet)? The VFD itself has caps that bleed off before it shuts down. Mine do not have a long time to power up though so that is interesting. I am not sure what you believe "a long time" powering up is. When power is applied I see two dashes then the hz value a second or so later.

The motor start and stop timings (speed to ramp to the Hz you select) are programable in the settings.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It takes a long time to show life when I flip the power switch.  My Baldor showed signs of life pretty quickly.  The HY also takes forever to turn off when I turn the power off.  I know it's just the caps charging and discharging, but when I first turned it on I thought my switch was broken.  

I haven't gone through the parameters yet, got other things that are more pressing right now.

When I first got power to it, I forgot how you get it to stop blinking when it comes up and hit 'run', realized that was a mistake and hit 'stop.' I don't know if my motor will run at 400 Hz, but I do know I don't want to find out because the lathe isn't that well balanced.