Making ocarinas out of wood
I have recently embarked on yet another crazy venture in the realm of woodworking: making an ocarina out of wood. I must admit that figuring out the mechanics of the thinghas taken me a few hours of figuring out, given that I am neither a musician nor an expert in musical instruments. However, once I found the way to give the instrument a voice, things went very well. The following is a short Youtube video of my first one. I am now up to three of them, of different shapes, because my kids would not let me sleep unless they each had theirs. You may read about the steps and design considerations on my WordPress blog at patricksavard.wordpress.com

Comments and constructive advice welcome!

https://youtu.be/8dzVGxBL2X8
So you're saying peace and quiet around the homestead is a thing of the past
Raised

On the plus side if they get any good, you could put them on "America's Got Talent" I imagine the Ocarina category would be kinda thin
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
With two kids in the homestead to start with, quiet is something we have not known for quite some time. :-) And now that my son has to play the flute in his music classes at school, and sometimes practice at home (understand here that the practice is that of our patience more than anything else), I must say that I find the sound of ocarinas much less irritating to the ear than that of the plastic flutes they play at school. Hence my comfort with making those wooden wonders.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh I remember the day I carried home a Coronet. I can still remember the look on Dads face when I did my first solo for him. Fortunately for him, I identified that I have no musical talent what-so-ever, and it was quickly returned. Before it went back, my practice went from downstairs, to the garage
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I'm wishing you the best of luck in all of this, and hope your children are Prodigy.

GW
Steve, in five minutes after taking the tuned ocarinas into the house, I knew they had no talent. They love music. Just can't play it. We are native French speakers here, and when I asked my 7 y.o. whether he remembered the name of the instrument (I had mentioned it but once in front of him), he said it was called an "orphelinat." This translates to "orphanage." I laughed my head off and told him that if he played it too loud early in the morning, this is where he would end up. :-D

Patrick

Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh glad to hear I am not the only child who had no musical talent, love to listen, and can dance like the wind, just can't make music.

This Gal doesn't share my poor abilities in playing, makes a nice sound
Big Grin  

GW
My piano teacher told mom she was wasting her money, I could only carry a tune in a bucket.  
Sarcasm

Sorry mom.

Ed