SWAT Shield
My 9 yro gs wants me to make one for him I've been trying to come up with a design that wouldn't be to heavy for him. Has anyone made one of these?

My current idea is to make it out of 1/4 ply. But not certain what to use for the curve that wont be to heavy.
Like this?

[Image: M-SWAT-Blog-LCOA.jpg]

I would make a lightweight wooden Bow with a handle, and curve some thin plexiglass, or similar in a gentle arc, and spray paint it black, and use some white paint with stencils. You realize, his only needs to be about a foot high, and 6 to 8" wide, and his mind will take it from there. Just make sure you sand all the edges smooth. Mom wouldn't like it if he got a cut from a sharp edge.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
They do make a bendable plywood where all of the plys are in the same direction.  Not sure of the availability.
Buy a plastic rubbish can or a large plastic bucket, cut out the size you need.   It already is curved, add a plastic window and a handle to hold it.   Roly
I like the way your kid thinks, the bullies in the neighborhood better shape up.
I have several canisters of mace left over from a former career if you want I could... oh wait... (eye rolls)
No I don't.
Never mind.
Lol

* smilies don't work from my tablet for some reason (poutie face)
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I buy 1/8 inch Baltic birch for some of my projects. Special order from a local lumber yard. How big of a piece dou you need? I would make two or three curved cross pieces to glue it too??

Buy a piece of plywood from the BORG.  It already comes pre bent/warped
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(04-15-2017, 03:09 PM)Roly Wrote: Buy a plastic rubbish can or a large plastic bucket, cut out the size you need.   It already is curved, add a plastic window and a handle to hold it.   Roly

+1

And it will take the abuse better than plywood.
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Roly;

Great idea. Problem solved. I have an old black can I've been wanting to replace.

Old Marine. That would be the last thing I need in my house.

Thanks everyone.

Jim
Jim
There is a product called "bendywood" used in the industry. As stated above, it can be bought with the grain oriented to bend along the long axis of a 4x8 sheet or the short axis. It's major advantage for your application is that it is very lightweight. 

You will need to laminate two layers with veneers on both faces to get your shield, but it will work fine.
I would use a backer sheet for both veneered faces, this should take paint decently.

You will probably need to buy it all from a commercial distributor, you will not find it at big box stores, but the distributor can supply the backer sheets too. 

Otherwise, if you know folks at some local cabinet shops, they might help hook you up.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.