New Yankee Workshop
We recently ditched cable tv, now streaming over the Internet. I am binge watching NYW. Pretty neat to watch the early shows- great projects with a very basic shop

I watched the early shows when they were broadcast, and seem to remember one where the only stationary tool he had appeared to be a Craftsman RAS (gasp!) and he still got something (don't remember what) done. It is interesting...same with Scott Phillips, his early shows were a far cry from the setup he has today....he even did some good things back then. How's that conversion working out for ya' (the ditched cable)?. I keep wondering if that's what we ought to do.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred- the streaming seems to be working. It is a different kind of tv experience- alot of stuff is available on demand, which is really neat. I have a good OTA antenna, so local channels are still there. Sling TV is my main source, $20 per month. I have Hulu also, plus lots of other free options. We use Amazon Fire Stick- plenty of other choices as well. Still stuck with the Charter Communications internet, but much cheaper than the internet and 
TV

We dumped TWC almost 2 years ago. We have a Amazon stick, it's junk. The Roku is much better value especially if you go sling, a 3 month payment gets you a free Roku. The absolute best though is a smart TV, which is smarter than Roku or Fire.

Where are you streaming Norm? This site lets you see one show a week wasn't aware of a place you could binge watch
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yup I liked his early stuff as well. 

We dropped cable 6 years ago and just have Internet through them. Smart tv and first generation chromecast and a roku both of which don't get used anymore as a smart tv does all they do and more and better. 

Just stay away from the vizio tvs. They are not very reliable and many have around a 2 year lifespan before boards start failing and there are no replacement parts for them so get a warranty and they will just replace the tv with a new one. 

Very happy with the lg 65 HDTV that replaced the 55 vizio but the remote is horrid, no direct buttons for amazon,netflix or youtube and it's reception is worse than a remote ffrom the 70s not to mention poor button placement. Hopefully I can find a decently priced main board for the vizio and get it running again or maybe try try the first revision of that board as they are very common and cheap.
I'd like to know where your streaming Norm from as well.

I have a roku and fire stick also and we stream CBS and some PBS stuff but I haven't found much woodworking content anywhere.

Duke
I found it on you tube. On our fire stick there is a you tube app

L I B thar is Narmon Rat Cheer

As much as I look at you tube, that is something I never thought of, Thanks.

All 3 of our smart TV's have you tube, but I usually do that from a computer. IIRC Roku has it too, just seems that navigation is so much quicker, and easier with a mouse, and a keynoard
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
No TV or cable or anything for 15 years, life is very very very excellent and I am super busy exploring our world, not only woodworking.  TV is an excellent way to waste one's life.........
(04-17-2017, 10:09 PM)opticsguy Wrote: No TV or cable or anything for 15 years, life is very very very excellent and I am super busy exploring our world, not only woodworking.  TV is an excellent way to waste one's life.........

Yup. We watched so little tv that it wasn't worth paying for and when I'm somewhere with cable I am reminded why we dropped it as there is nothing worth watching. I'd like a couple channels like discovery and the like but I want them from 15 years ago as they are all just reality shows now. I can watch all the documentaries I want on youtube and many I would never have known about had we just had cable.