Ground wire for a sub-panel question
Thanks, Roly and everyone.  I expected I would have to pull the 3 wire cable out and replace it with a 4 wire cable.  I was just wondering if there was another option since it seemed a waste to have to pull the existing cable out.  Ken
(04-17-2017, 12:10 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: Thanks, Roly and everyone.  I expected I would have to pull the 3 wire cable out and replace it with a 4 wire cable.  I was just wondering if there was another option since it seemed a waste to have to pull the existing cable out.  Ken

I agree with you but that does not matter.  Roly
I had a shop built about 2 years ago with a 100 amp sub panel in it.   The electrician put 4 separate conductors inside conduit from the shop panel to the house panel.  Both panels were located on walls closest to each other so there wasn't any internal run for the cable to make.  Passed inspection no problem.  

Since they had an open trench, I had them put a 2nd empty conduit in a few inches above the electrical conduit.  I later put RG 6 coax for DirecTV , a Cat6 cable for just in case and a fiber optic cable for internet access at the house.   Transceivers convert the fiber to 1000BaseT at both the shop and house end.   Don't have to worry about nearby lightning strikes blowing LAN switch ports this way.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker