A #3 catastrophe
I found this really nice looking #3, type 11 in the boneyard and threw it (figuratively) onto the rehab line.

[Image: DSCN2841.jpg]

One of the frog screws gave me a little trouble, but Liquid Wrench helped. Mr Evaporust did the heavy lifting. I was tickled to see that about 90% of the original japan finish remained.

[Image: DSCN2866.jpg]

I was cleaning the side with a Scotchbrite pad when tragedy struck.

[Image: DSCN2865.jpg]

There was a crack under all of that rust and grime. Oh, snap. Now all I have is a box of donor parts.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
happens too much.  makes me sad.

At least there is some nice rosewood to salvage.
I had bought a LV PM VIII blade and cap iron before cleaning my first # 3. I found the same thing. Having a new blade and cap-iron I starting looking for another #3. I gave up after a while, and ended up buying a restored Millers Fall Craftsman off CL. The very next week at the fleamarket guess what showed up, a#3. It was missing parts so it was only $2.
A man of foolish pursuits
Happened to me just this weekend, and on a #3 too!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It's only a catastrophe if you want to "flip" the plane for profit.   Otherwise that sort of crack can either be ignored or patched up inventively for a user.  
Smile
Chris
A man can only use so many #3s in their lifetime... after the 4 or so I have as users...the rest have to be passed on....
Looks like the guy in the newspaper feels your pain.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
There is a friend of mine, "Super Dave"  of Chisel & Forge, who has repaired a plane or two for me.    Silver Brazed the crack.    Make a "V" channel along the sides of the crack, first.    I think Dave even has a Youtube Video  when he repaired my Millers Falls No. 14.    Might be worth the effort?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(04-17-2017, 03:21 PM)Scott W Wrote: Looks like the guy in the newspaper feels your pain.

Jim,
Do you save that newspaper for these situations?

I can braze soles, guess it's barely worth doing for you though.

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmDPS9y1Og of SuperDave. I think I would use brass or nickle silver
Found the vid with Bandit's plane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrK2lHCCuCc
(04-17-2017, 06:38 PM)EricU Wrote: Jim,
Do you save that paper for these situations?

I can braze soles, guess it's barely worth doing for you though.
 HA! Just noticed the guy with the headache. Pretty appropriate for this situation.

As for this plane, it becomes donor parts. I am working on another type 11 so all is not lost. If it were just for me, I would use it. I have had users with cheek bites and hang holes. None of those really affect how it works. But I could never sell or even give away something like this defect. It looks like a serious fracture and looks like it is headed for the mouth.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com