Poll: Wood type
Hardwood
Softwood
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
bench wood species?
  Re: bench wood species? by mound (Is your bench made o...)
My main bench...
The frame is constructed of Douglas fir, dimensioned stock.
The top is laminated: 3/4" fir plywood, 3/4" particleboard, 1/4" tempered Masonite on top. After laminating, I hard edged it with 4/4 beech. 4' X 8' X 1 3/4"
I used to give some oil/varnish mix after every couple of years. I haven't done that for a while. If it gets chewed up, I patch with a dutchman or Bondo.
I am going to make mine with eastern Hemlock. I have a lot of it on my property and I have put a lot of it through my sawmill. I figure I might as well use what I have beside it is free.
(04-17-2017, 09:19 PM)mound Wrote: >> Is your bench made of softwood or hardwood?  <<

Yes.

>>Which species did you choose and why?  <<

Primary wood is Douglas Fir.  The front edge of the bench, leg vise, crochet, and deadman are hard maple.  All these items take the majority of the abuse, and the hard maple holds up well.

But I wouldn't hesitate to build an entire bench from Douglas Fir.  I have a line on several 6" x 12" x 20' Douglas Fir timbers, and would use those for a bench.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools