Waterlox is very pricey
Needed to complete a finishing project, and the old can had a thick hard layer. So when I went to order a new can the price was around $34 (not including the shipping) for a quart of the Ultra XL-89. It's a really nice finish though. Guess its pricey since it is an oil based finish.
I do not think that it is because of oil based. I found that frequently water based substitutes are even more expensive, because of pollution regulation and finisher that obey the regulation do not have a choice and use water based products. Manufacturers take advantage of that situation.
Waterlox was well established brand and the finish you mentioned is their flagman, so it's traditionally supported high price tag. Now it is not so popular, but folks who knows the product and like it still pays high price for good product, but other just switched gears. Besides the finish you mentioned is phenolic resin, not ubiquitous polyurethane and now made by Waterlox only.
Minwax poly costs around $12 for quart can, though it's oil based.