ball bearings for G0490
I am upgrading to a spiral head on my grizzly G0490 jointer. I plan to use new bearings and I see wildly different prices on the internet. Am I missing something?? Some suppliers they are $50 and others are $2. hahahah... I would prefer to pay $2 but want to make sure there isn't some big difference or mistake going on here. The grizzly parts list says they are 6004-2RS bearings.
There are cheap bearings and quality bearings.
Timken or SKF are my two choices no matter where they are produced they are quality controlled. The price does reflect the quality.

Some may not be caged or caged poorly- the ball bearings can be graded poorly as well for roundness (in the millionths)- some are too loose.

For unimportant no stress stuff I might use a cheap 8 dollar bearing instead of a 20 dollar one.
I'd go with a medium priced name brand
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

2RS means, two rubber seals.
You probably already knew that.

RP
(04-18-2017, 08:33 PM)RPE1 Wrote: 2RS means, two rubber seals.
You probably already knew that.

RP

Yeah don't used shielded as they will fill with sawdust over time and lock up. Have had that happen more than once on the factory installed bearings usually in bandsaws.
Thanks for the responses everyone. Good info.
You might want to double check but I think that machine used one 6004 and one 6005 like the DJ20, at least that's how we ship the heads.

Go with the rubber seals, not much more money if any.  The endings coud be 2RS or LL or something else depending on the supplier.  

The other thing that drives up the price is the ABEC rating and you don't need anything special for a jointer.
You are correct Brian. The G0490 requires too different sized bearings. Thanks for the heads up!
Well, I ordered a Byrd head for my DJ-20 from Brian in Sunny, Hot, and Steamy Mosquito Infested FL a while back (maybe 10 years ago), and ordered matching bearings with it.  As I recall, they weren't very expensive...certainly not $50.  They're still spinning just fine.
Bob