Advice on making 24" boards
Wood can and will "age", however I have found that each log and stump ages depending on how and where stored and if on the ground, what ground conditions there are. 
I milled a Maple tree that had fallen 20 years ago, heavily heavily spaulted, some of the wood crumbled into dust and other parts about as hard as freshly fallen maple.  
My cedar stump came from a fallen tree someone tried to burn in a fire and then left on ground many years. Cutting the stump gave me both some very nice slabs and some very rotten parts.  
Cedar dries much more rapidly than most other species.  Cotton wood seems to have the highest percentage of water content, at least in my area.  A lot depends on how it is dried.
Find a sawmill and buy a variety of boards.

(04-23-2017, 04:20 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Find a sawmill and buy a variety of boards.

Now that sounds like a great idea.  I was thinking of finding someone who owns a portable sawmill and saws 'urban lumber'.
You're right, the workroom won't have much free wall space for whiteboard.  Three of the walls are bare concrete that I will seal & paint. I may use plywood or chipboard on the stud wall in there.

In my previous basement I had one large framed whiteboard (nearly 4x8') in my office, one portable in the office, one on the wall of the computer room, and one portable in the computer room.  That's more where I was thinking of doing entire walls in whiteboard.  I just don't see any point in putting up drywall & a hung ceiling like last time.

I'll also be adding a full bathroom with shower.  Whiteboard in there would be a joke (write graffiti to myself?).  Don't have any inspiration for that room yet.  I do great tile work.  Last house I did the master bath with marble floor & a huge travertine shower.  But at this point I only know I need a toilet, shower, & a sink.

In this new basement I want to discard the conventional, but not just for the sake of novelty.  I want to implement new ideas that are functional and show it.  I want it to show off the beauty of utility.  If I decide to use chipboard for the walls or ceiling, then it's gonna look like chipboard.  I may stain or clearcoat it, but I'm not going to hide the material.
Guy, why not an acoustical ceiling. Drop the panels between joists , tees can be cut to fit between joists to take care of the edges. What your proposing ,cutting lengths of various width boards to 23-1/2" will work but might not look as good as you think.
mike