Face Shield & Respiratory Recommendations?
I know this has been addressed before, but I can't find it so gave up searching (and I know someone will find it in 10 seconds). I've decided to finally get smarter about this, and need to get full face protection and good dust protection for the lungs as well while turning. Had a piece blow up on me yesterday after a catch and it's time to stop just using goggles and the cloth dust mask - always good to get a healthy scare with no real injury beyond a scratch to force a change. Appreciate any input.

I've not yet really thought what I'm looking for, and money is not a critical factor given this is about long term health (though it enters the equation at some point)

Thanks,
John
Good dust collector and your paper mask will be effective, and tolerated well, which means you'll use them.  Won't protect you from fumes, which will require either open air or charcoal.  Make sure it seals, because fumes will go where dust won't. Cellulose dust not much of a pulmonary threat, but sanding or grinding grit can be.

Face masks are an option generally not required by proper technique.  Cutting downhill, above center outside and below inside are sufficient, when standing behind a toolrest barrier.  Scraping wants a facemask, as a rule. The essence of scraping is chipping out pieces and providing lift , so even standing up straight might allow some sharp wood for your face.  Problems with facemasks are visibility - condensation or static dust attractions, and spicy foods!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
A lot of guys will laugh at me. I use face shield like the loggers wear. I got tired of the fogged shield, dusty lense  and  looking around the scratches no matter how careful I tried to be. It still got scratched. I wear good safety glasses and a dust mask, sometimes respirator depending on the wood i'm using. I have a hanging air filter that quit working about 2 months ago that I need to replace and it really makes a difference in my shop. I am able to open the door and give the space a good blow out with my leaf blower, that helps also.

So I wear a hard hat when I turn. I have had pieces hit the screen and it is effective. Haven't scratched it in 2 years of use. Could not say that for the plastic lense.
I tried the face shield too. Scratched to high heaven and foggy, not to mention it attracts dust like crazy and further blocks vision.
I use safety glasses and paper respirator or MSHA respirator pending on dust.
While its not heard of I use a softball fielders facemask when turning big unpredictable things - cracked or voids. Respirators fit under it without any problems
I wear a Uvex bionic full face shield when turning bowls or larger hollow forms. I also wear a 3m half mask respirator most of the time, especially when sanding or roughing. If I weren't concerned with the weight I would've purchased a trend air shield long ago. Just not sure I could wear one for an extended period. Makes no sense to me for a person to not take precautions, accidents happen.

Steve
Steve K

+1 on the Uvex bionic face shield. We liked them enough that I bought one for every turner in the family. The clear part is replaceable if it gets too scratched up or you do something silly like spatter it with CA.
Rolleyes
Blush

Using one of the big box store cheap face shields for sharpening does help with reducing the scratching. This is when doing the extended sharpening catch up, not the quick touch up when turning.

Also, as long as you are using stone grinding wheels for sharpening, it is a good idea to stay out of the line of fire for them, too.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
For really iffy wood I have a modified riot helmet rated to withstand 17 cal fire.
Yes
For most I use the bionic others have listed also.  Rated + for safety, light, and comfortable.
The shield can be scratched so I try to be careful with it.  but.... replacement is only $4.57 with the + rating so I consider it to be a disposable item.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_...45JDAQRV1Y

For dust I use the 3M P100  (99.96 efficiency down to 0.3 microns).  They state good for 160 hours but I normally trash mine after about 40-50 hours because the outside starts looking grungy.  That's about three months of sanding for me.  This looks about like the one I use but 3M makes many that look similar. This rating is the same or better than the full systems selling for many hundred $$.
If you are OK with 95% efficiency with the same 0.3 micon they are available for about $1.25 each in packs of 10 or 12.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate-Re...respirator
Thanks for all the input - really appreciate. Now, decision time.
John -  I recently bought a new full face repertory mask for the reasons you mention.    https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B...ewpoints=0 .  Read the reviews.    I'm very pleased because: no fine dust gets thru and it doesn't fog.   Previously, I had a full face mask with a motor to provide down flow filtered air inside the masl.  Cost $300 and didn't work.
         This mask will not seal if you have a beard. Also, if you wear glasses, you'll need to order and eye piece insert attachment, $135! and then -- have lense's cut to fit the insert $150 depending on you optometrist's lens price.   Also you must buy the filters separate.   I also bought a pack of facesheild covers.   Questions: send me a PM.

Dave