Hmmmmmm T-Mac, say it's not so
I was watching Tommy McDonald today, he and his buddy Al, were making Tommies lovely Wife a built in cabinet. Really looked handsome.

Then I saw an image of the Devil hisself, or maybe it was Scott Phillips. Tommy and Al started popping in screws with a Kreg jig, not just one or two, but a bunch of them
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek

Now I know if Scott had done that there would be a thread, so well, I kinda felt it a public service
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Some people's heads will likely explode. but folks, it all comes down to the right tool, application, or joinery for the job. I really don't say this to be a terrorist, but if our Fore Fathers had access to electricity, they would have certainly used TS, Jointer, Planers, Routers, and yes Pocket hole jigs. So traditional might just be so, because all the goodies we have available weren't around yet. Hopefully no one need to pop a Nitro
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I'm  not gonna bite, this is for others to jump in on.
Yes
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
pocket screws to me look horrible, although they do serve a purpose. But for his level of skill, it is a travesty.
I've not seen what they were doing, but face frame construction is ok for pocket screws.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have used them to hold down table tops. Just open the hole a bit for movement, and only just snug the screw.
No issues yet.
Ag
Who is Tommy Mcdonald?
To me, unless you are building period perfect stuff, it's all fair game.  I use traditional joinery where that makes the most structural sense.  Where that's not critical, I use whatever is convenient, without shame.  If you haven't guessed by now I use loose tenons for most joints, including most structural ones, but I have no aversion to using biscuits, or pocket screws, or a vacuum bag with plastic resin glue, or ....

I was just at the Stickley factory.  One of the things the tour guide said several times was that the Stickleys used the latest technology available at the time to make their furniture.  Same for the Shakers before them.  Now folks including Stickley are using CNC machines to make parts.  Makes perfect sense to me.  

John
(04-22-2017, 08:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: To me, unless you are building period perfect stuff, it's all fair game.  I use traditional joinery where that makes the most structural sense.  Where that's not critical, I use whatever is convenient, without shame.  If you haven't guessed by now I use loose tenons for most joints, including most structural ones, but I have no aversion to using biscuits, or pocket screws, or a vacuum bag with plastic resin glue, or ....

I was just at the Stickley factory.  One of the things the tour guide said several times was that the Stickleys used the latest technology available at the time to make their furniture.  Same for the Shakers before them.  Now folks including Stickley are using CNC machines to make parts.  Makes perfect sense to me.  

John

Best answer.

BTW this was the project.

[Image: 0513-ChinaCabinet-1.jpeg]

Cabinet for Tommy's wife to put her pretty dishes into
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Was Kreg one of the sponsors?  Then it would make sense.  It hardly makes any difference now, since he announced recently he was leaving the show.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-22-2017, 04:21 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm  not gonna bite, this is for others to jump in on.
Yes

OMG, I agree with Fred. 

Everyone gets to  pick how they make stuff and if you are production minded sometimes shortcuts happen. And we are talking about a sponsored show on TV so personal preferences might not even matter.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure