Hmmmmmm T-Mac, say it's not so
(04-25-2017, 05:14 PM)Joel Runyan Wrote: They're our forefathers because they didn't have access to such things. If they did, we might not be so impressed.

Well they are our Fore........Fathers, because they are a lot older than we are. But yeah given access to the tools we can buy and run today, that "Traditional" thing would have a lot more pocket holes, Domino chips, and all the holes would be drilled with power. Hand saws, planes, not so much either, and as you change tools, you also change joints/joinery.

I can see old Elias now........Well I got the boy one of those routers, and did ya know they have a jig to make dovetails? I am working as fast, and as hard as I can, and don't ya know that Boy can make 30 times the drawers that I can build dressers for........ Going for one of those newfangled Table saws next month, maybe a jointer, planer, never did like hand planes, and those hand saws just suck the life out of me....

Hand tool woodworkers are the biggest Romantics the world knows.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(04-26-2017, 02:34 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It is some talent but he went to a good school also and I am sure a lot of other people who went to the school are also as good. 
I am quite sure there are guys here as good to, however, Tommy taken it to a show level and I am proud of him for that.  To bad he did not stick with it or maybe he got tired of the bad emails like Norm did and that is why he quit.
It is the fault of the people who watch Tommy and like him who put them on a high pedestal and not Tommy's fault just like Rob Cosman and Roy Underhill ...

Getting your skills in front of a camera is more difficult than one may think. Then taking a wood work process and show it in a way that can be shown on camera is another level. Tommy was able to add in some fresh energy to the game.

Everyone with a keyboard think they have the right to spout and be heard. I've written several books about auto racing history in Southern California. When it comes to that topic, I am right up there. Yet I still get people choosing to argue. I can't imagine how tough it would be on a national stage where there are so many keyboards poised to correct your method.

I've watched a bunch of them and still find my way back to Red Green more often than I'd care to admit.
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
The Amish used nails!  Can you believe it?  
Eek
(04-28-2017, 10:09 AM)daddo Wrote: The Amish used nails!  Can you believe it?  
Eek

Yah, they still dooo. Screws even, yah
Yes
Yes

GW
(04-28-2017, 10:09 AM)daddo Wrote: The Amish used nails!  Can you believe it?  
Eek

Look close and you can find where Sam Malloof said "Screws are just like metal dowels."
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
(04-26-2017, 03:54 PM)Steve N Wrote: Hand tool woodworkers are the biggest Romantics the world knows.

Well what's the term for someone who wants to look like a Romantic for reasons of marketing, but only has half the time and none of the skills? 
Laugh
Well I was being nice calling them Romantics instead of Clingers
Laugh
Laugh

GW
Pocket screws are neither good nor evil. They are a tool and have uses.

Angled holes from the face through the edge of aprons have been used to hold table tops for a hundred years.

Besides, Tommy is leaving Rough Cut anyway.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
50 or 75 years from now when Festool, Lamello, IKEA or their successors are making furniture by robot and 3D printers spitting out lignin and cellulose, they'll be saying,  "Things ain't heirloom any more -- where's the drywall screws, KD fasteners, and pocket holes??? Why we used to have to put on glue, push things together, then secure with a little Allen wrench!"

Besides, I get too distracted with Tommy Mac waving his arms every time he talks.
No doubt, Tommy is a talented woodworker. But talented doesn't always translate into a great show that draws an audience. I too, was distracted by his hyper, hand-waving, over-excited delivery. The last season, with him building his shop, was interesting from a shop standpoint, but it was really more carpentry than woodworking. TOH and ATOH already cover that genre. When he was building projects, I often thought a lot of details were missing and I found it difficult to follow along. I never really did get the explanation on how the kitchen leaf table mechanism worked, and how to lay it out, etc. I really did enjoy the Master Showcase episodes where he visited other woodworkers. I think a series that follows various talented woodworkers around the nation would be a great thing. Add in some trips to places like Stickley, some Amish makers, etc., and you'd have a winner for me.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill