Cost of new shop?
(04-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Ray Newman Wrote: Have a question on the epoxy -- will the epoxy floor become  "slick" from any sawdust on the floor?

Ray, my research from various woodworking and garage sites tells me those that have epoxied their shop floor, the answer is no. It was one of my concerns and I still think there is some potential there but I plan to have very good dust collection to help prevent the possibility. You can sprinkle aluminum oxide on the epoxy and the Epoxy-Coat kits include it but it makes sweeping/cleanup more difficult so I'm opting not to do that. I also plan to put down fatigue mats and that should help lower the risk of slipping while working.

Tom
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(04-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Ray Newman Wrote: Teetomterrific: nice looking shop! And having it match the  house deign will enhance your property/resale value!

Have a question on the epoxy -- will the epoxy floor become  "slick" from any sawdust on the floor?

Yeah looks very well done. Sad part is it doesn't increase the resale value as much as you would think. Partly because realtors too a very poor job of showing out buildings, garages and basements in their pictures so they loose allot of potential buyers and higher prices. Often they just barely mention there is an outbuilding in listings.
Hi, Aram

I started on my shop about 10 years ago. It's 26' x 36', w/ 10' walls and a vaulted ceiling. I contracted the excavation, concrete, underground plumbing and brickwork. The rest was done by me, with the help of my brother and a few friends when needed. At the time, copper and concrete prices were at an all-time high, and I came in at just over $40/sqft. This includes everything - structure (roofed & sided), plumbing, electrical, HVAC, t&g cedar, and all of the dust collection ductwork, workbenches, cabinets, and racks. The complete shop minus the tools. 

A few comments:

- Since it's an outbuilding, I would highly recommend a restroom. Aside form the obvious reason, just having hot & cold running water is a lot handier than I expected it to be.
- Twenty feet is too narrow. Anything less than 24' wide would challenge your tool placement.
- Being an open design, construction shouldn't take too awful long. The shell and outer finishes could be done in just a few days if the contractors are available. 
- Try to have as complete a plan as possible before you go looking for bids. All the bells & whistles need to be considered so you can ensure you'll get what you want...

I tried attaching a link to the construction of my shop, but it doesn't want to work. I'll see if I can figure it out and post later...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Bad link
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(04-23-2017, 03:00 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Hi, Aram

I started on my shop about 10 years ago. It's 26' x 36', w/ 10' walls and a vaulted ceiling. I contracted the excavation, concrete, underground plumbing and brickwork. The rest was done by me, with the help of my brother and a few friends when needed. At the time, copper and concrete prices were at an all-time high, and I came in at just over $40/sqft. This includes everything - structure (roofed & sided), plumbing, electrical, HVAC, t&g cedar, and all of the dust collection ductwork, workbenches, cabinets, and racks. The complete shop minus the tools. 

Wow Dave, $40/sqft! You must have at least 25K or more of sweat equity in that shop in terms of value. How long did it take you to build and finish the rest of the structure? I'm curious as to the time vs money question. For me, time was the big factor. I wanted to be up and running as quick as possible because I had already waited 4 years without a shop from an interstate move and getting mine built in 3 to 4 months within my HOA requirements was ultimately the deciding factor in spending $60/sqft.

Quote:- Since it's an outbuilding, I would highly recommend a restroom. Aside form the obvious reason, just having hot & cold running water is a lot handier than I expected it to be.

For me this just wasn't an option. The only location for me to build was behind my house and it had to be downhill beyond my septic system and drain field. Putting in a second septic system just for the workshop would have been impossible without clearing out much of the beautiful woods on the remainder of my property. However, if my property had allowed for it I would have built slightly bigger and included a restroom.

Quote:- Try to have as complete a plan as possible before you go looking for bids. All the bells & whistles need to be considered so you can ensure you'll get what you want...

Dave, I could not agree with this more!

Aram, one of the things you can use to estimate building cost for a finished building is to calculate the cost of all material needed and then double it. That is pretty much what most of the contractors do anyway. They seldom get detailed on the expected labor cost. They hope they can manage labor cost to one-quarter of the price and the rest is their profit. In my case, I drew up a total of 4 different plans with Sketchup which helped me calculate very closely every brick, block, 2x6 and yard of concrete, etc. It also made me carefully consider exactly how much space I truly needed for what I could afford.
(04-23-2017, 02:34 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Yeah looks very well done. Sad part is it doesn't increase the resale value as much as you would think. Partly because realtors too a very poor job of showing out buildings, garages and basements in their pictures so they loose allot of potential buyers and higher prices. Often they just barely mention there is an outbuilding in listings.

Yeah, and even worse my wife has a pottery studio and kiln room in the basement I built for her. To get the full value out of our house we would need to find another "crafty couple" when it is time to sell. We got lucky when we sold our house in MN. Our realtor marketed that home specifically around the "workshop", "craft studio" and "beautiful open floor plan". We sold it to the first couple that looked at it 3 days after listing it... and at full asking price. Makes me regret we didn't list it for more.
LIL Thanks for all the info. This is very helpful.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Best of luck to you Aram, on your adventure. Looking forward to seeing what you do!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'll be watching also.

I'm going to be building a 3 or 4 car detached garage as a shop soon after my old house sells

My wife wants to make it brick to match the house.

I would rather have a 3 car design with extra depth for more floor space with less exterior wall space but finding a set of plans with open floor space and upstairs storage is not as easy as I would have liked.

Duke
My wife contacted these guys who are going to make my new small shop with a garage attached which is 24x32 and my shop will be 24x18 and will be able to open a set of French like doors that are 6' long and I can put all my wood in the garage so the shop will not be so crowded. 

With the Concrete inside and having them install the ceiling with L 45 insulation it will cost us $19500.  I begged her to make it 40 long for a bigger shop but we only had to much $$$ and could not afford more.

But it also comes with an awning in front that was 14x18 with concrete pad included in the price.
It is also an all metal building and you can pick the colors. 

http://www.qualitystructures.com/g-4
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.