Cost of new shop?
Arlin -- Maybe not the world's biggest shop, but that's going to be terrific!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
It is bigger then my 14x16 shop now but just big enough for a wheel chair.
I would have love to have it 24x26 and the garage the same as 14x24 which would have made it 24x40 so I could get more guys in there.  But money is always a problem for me and most everyone else I am quite sure.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin how is the donated building you guys got going? Any progress?

I find so many things to do and that I want to do I keep moving backwards it seems.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Going through it right now.  24 x 32.  2x6 walls 10' tall.  12/12 arch shingle roof.  Fiber cement siding with brick knee wall.  One garage door and one man door.

The plan is to only hire out the concrete finishing.  I believe I can do everything else self supervised.  No heat, no plumbing, no insulation (yet), no interior finishing (yet).  

Current costs are $5k just to get a level slab.  Then another $12k-$13k for the shop.  

If I didn't have to "match the residence" I could do it a LOT cheaper.  Or at least I would put money toward different things besides a shingle roof, brick, and fancy siding & trim.  

I believed I pulled the coup of the year by getting everything laid out, and then finding out that she actually wants that one brick wall I had in the front to go all the way around the shop.  "It will look nicer" she says.  "To the neighbors and the back fence?" I say.  That was just for show.  What I have now is her permission to go past the budgeted amount.  
Smile
Mike

I have sent several emails and left several messages on their phones to both the Vice president of the local Chamber of Commerce and the Director of my local SBA whom I have been working with.  I have heard nothing from both of them since January and although both of them wanted me to do it and were excited to have me do so seems to me they might have lost interest.

I wish I had an extra $10k to make the shop bigger or they were they were more interested.  Now the loan we have will take 5 years to pay off.
No
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I built mine this year or at least am finishing it right now.  35,000 for a 40 x 30 cbs with 10' ceilings.  The cost also included adding a 400 amp service to my house and a 200 amp sub panel off the opposite side to feed the 125 amp panel in the shop.  Only activities not done by me were finishing the slab, laying the blocks and pouring the tie beam. I completed the rest myself including putting a smooth coat stucco on the inside to get rid of the block look.  There are 2 12x8 roll up doors and an entry door, no plumbing or the municipality would have hit me with 8,000 worth of impact fee's.  Price also included engineered plans and all the permits making it roughly 29.00 per square foot with a lot of sweat equity.
(04-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Ray Newman Wrote: Teetomterrific: nice looking shop! And having it match the  house deign will enhance your property/resale value!

Have a question on the epoxy -- will the epoxy floor become  "slick" from any sawdust on the floor?

I agree, that is a great looking shop, and against the trees it is a showplace, very nice.

Ray, my BIL has done 3 different floors on 2 buildings. The first worked well, but he thought it was too much like work to put on. The second went on great, and he slipped and fell breaking his arm the first time it rained, so he wanted that to go, he figured to apply another product over it, and was told that was a bad idea. He ended up sand blasting it off with those plastic pellets
Upset
Upset
Upset he was really miffed.

He then used This Valspar stuff, and it went on well, and isn't slick at all

Just wanted to throw out that some are slick, some not.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(04-27-2017, 04:57 PM)Steve N Wrote: I agree, that is a great looking shop, and against the trees it is a showplace, very nice.

Ray, my BIL has done 3 different floors on 2 buildings. The first worked well, but he thought it was too much like work to put on. The second went on great, and he slipped and fell breaking his arm the first time it rained, sh he wanted that to go, he figured to apply another product over it, and was told that was a bad idea. He ended up sand blasting it off with those plastic pellets
Upset  
Upset  
Upset  he was really miffed.

He then used This Valspar stuff, and it went on well, and isn't slick at all

Just wanted to throw out that some are slick, some not.

I know that there is a risk it might be slick but what gives me a little bit of confidence that it will be OK is that where I work we had the concrete floors epoxied and we don't have that problem. The company I work for is extremely safety conscious so if it was slick that would be a big problem. One of the big differences between the Valspar and Rust-Oleum type epoxy finishes from what I'm using is the former are water based coatings. I'm using a 100% solids based epoxy like what was used on the floors at work. One of the problems with the water based epoxies is they are not very thick after the water evaporates. I wanted to make sure I had the thickest coating possible to put heavy machinery on and the Epoxy-Coat kits I bought should give me 19 mil.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Not sure how much it helps you, but my 28 X 40 X 12' shop cost $56k here in Hawaii. It's a stand alone building with its own 100amp panel. No insulation needed and the windows are open year round, since no heating or a/c are needed.
VH07V  
Reading this makes me want to cry. Things may be bigger in Texas, but they're far more expensive in the Los Angeles area. I finished my 25 x 40 shop (and now wish it were about 5 - 10 ' wider), and built with easy conversion to a guest house in mind. It has a full bath, 200 amp panel (overkill for shop but good for any future kitchen), no insulation, automatic fire sprinkler system, plain concrete floor with 220 run in the slab to where the big machines sit. Total cost was just north of $120K - permits, water meter, required fire sprinklers and other state / city requirements definitely drove up the cost.