Grizzly Jointers
I have been spending the last few months building a new shop, and the jointer is my last tool!

But it seems Grizzly's jointers are perpetually out of stock.  Any one know what's going on over there?   Currently they estimate "May 21" but last month they say said "April 21".  

Are there are only other jointer manufacturers that have affordable 8" options?
I ordered the G0656 8 inch jointer in February with an estimated delivery date of mid April. Even through this jointer had been on backorder for several months I did place an order. I just checked the status and now the estimated delivery date is mid May. I can't figure out what the heck is going on myself. Wish I could tell you but I am really starting to wonder myself what is going on with Grizzly.
Have you checked out Shop Fox?
(04-25-2017, 04:08 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Have you checked out Shop Fox?

Same tools same company same warehouse but better colors.
(04-25-2017, 04:53 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Same tools same company same warehouse but better colors.

and more money usually
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(04-25-2017, 05:10 PM)JGrout Wrote: and more money usually

Yeah seems like that white paint is expensive stuff. I guess titanium dioxide is much more expensive than green lanterns organic paint colorant. Remember when PM used that green, the new color isn't any better.

I have seen a few instances where the shop fox was cheaper but that's rare.
The Shop Fox machines do usually have a initial higher price tag BUT you can almost always find them with free shipping which evens the price up on a lot of machines. This isn't the case across the board but if he shops around he should be able to find a jointer that is roughly the same price as the Grizzly machine and is not out of stock for an indefinite amount of time. Also be sure to keep an eye on EBay and Craigslist. I see a whole lot of 8" jointers pop up here. You might be able to find a nice older American made machine at a good price. Under $500 is not uncommon where I live.
I went through that several years ago with Grizzly. First it was delayed for two weeks, then 30 days, then another 30 days. After 3 months and no firm date I canceled the order and bought a Delta locally. Cost more but it was in my shop the next day. I won't order a machine from Grizzly now unless it is in stock.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Jet, Oliver, Powermatic and Laguna at Equipment Sales and Surplus
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(04-25-2017, 05:10 PM)JGrout Wrote: and more money usually

30% across the line.

I buy Griz, and just order, they don't charge you till they ship, if you find a CL Jointer first, go for it. I bought this 8" jointer before they changed something essentially same as this one, but a different part number. Love it.
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW